Sega CD Lens Power

Hi, does anybody know how to correctly adjust the power to the model 1 mega cd (PAL)? I think the lens is becoming weak as the loading times have become quite long and some games may take some attempts to read properly. Its not the cd's as gens plays them flawlessy. I have dis-assembled the unit and the only adjustable things i can see are 4 orange screw type adjusters at the back of the lens module. I am not sure how to proceed from there. Any suggestions?

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that. I've tried cleaning the lens but it hasnt made any difference. I seen a post here ages ago from a guy who claimed he sucessfully adjusted the Sega CD lens power strong enough to be able to read cd/rw's. I tried to contact him but I failed. Anyway thanks for replying

I doubt that would fix it anyway. I'd suspect a lot of things before that, like the rail wearing out/sagging. PSX liked to do this after a few years (anyone else have to flip theirs upside down in their unit's latter days?) Or maybe the motor is getting weak. Who knows...

on the back of the actual unit that moves on the cd reading assembly should be an orange screw not the ones mounted on the pcb get a good fitting screwdriver and slowly turn it to the right until it reads to your liking i dont suggest trying for cd-rw as it doesnt work reliably on any of my units good luck with it

Thanks for your advice guys. Unfortunately, I cant seem to locate this individual orage type screw that Uzza83 mentions. I have really examined it and i am wondering if there are different types of setups. Perhaps someone might have a picture lying around of this lens power adjuster. Thanks again for your responses

im at work so i cant check, but i think i remember it being blueish green or something. i had the same problem with my US model 1 and it fixed it fine.

Thanks lordofduct, when you get a chance could you maybe have a look at your model 1 and tell me exactly where the adjuster is, i cant for the life of me see anything adjustable. Thanks very much

I was recently installing one of Arakons multi region eproms, and once I had the Sega CD apart, I fully investigated the CD lens assembly. Low and behold I noticed the blue/green potentiometer that lordofduct was talking about. I gave it about 20-30 degrees of a turn and it done the job. All my cd's load better now with an increase in loading times too. Thanks for your help guys.

I've adjusted a Model 2 US NTSC Sega CD to read CDRW.

It has played impressivly for a little over a year, with at least once a month use. It's common use is CDRs, but still plays originals and CDRWs just the same.

The model 2 NTSC has a 5th orange dial on the laser gun itself.

The "orange dials" or "variable resistors" would optimally be adjusted in a certain order. I'm not sure about the PAL Model 1.

The numbers that label the "VRs" are 1-4, but not in numerical order. It's confusing to write out and best in pictures. I'll try to dig up the ones I have soon.

If you try to test changing any, try using a toothpick with fingernail paint or similar to mark you original spot.

Back