Sega CD Model 1 Power Issue

Hello,

first time posting in this forum! Well here's my story, my friend had a genesis model 2 and a sega cd model 1 (tray) sitting at home for many years, about 4-5 years without any use. So i offered him cash for it but turns out the system wont turn on. I got all the original AC's, RF cables. Genesis powers up fine but the sega cd lights will sometimes flash for a second and the screen just remains black. Ive searched all over the forums and did the contacts cleaning, aligning the genesis perfectly, have the metal plate attached, even tried the system without it. Could the Ac adapter be dead? Also whats this about a rechargable battery inside, could that be it? I opened up the system but i couldnt find the fuse to check out if its blown, i did see a lil black box next to the power plug with the number 200 on it but i didnt want to pull it open incase it broke. Any diagrams on how to check the fuse, or any tips on how to fix this? My friend said last time he played it, the system worked perfectly so im really lost here. Appreciate any help, thanks!!!

Well I think it could be nothing to do with the insides...

I was given a Sega CD1, and wondered why it never worked.

It seems the bit where it joins can be a a bitch, just jiggle it about in slighty different angles or a lil looser or tighter. And ya may find it could work.

grrr..tried slighting pushing it in, all kinds of positions and the system still wont power on. Probably need to purchase and test with a genesis 1 or send it to sega-parts.com so they can fix it. Anyone else have any solutions?? Thanks!!

Figured it out!!! Yay my model 1 is working now!!!!! Turns out it was the fuse! Inside there's a fuse labeled F1, replaced it and now everythings fine, tested out a game and its a whole brand new system. :)

Congrats on fixing your system. I am having the EXACT same problem as you, but I cannot find the fuse you specified! Is it in that "200" box by where the AC Adapter plugs in? I'm not that bad with circuit boards; I can't believe I can't find this thing!

THANK YOU,

Sam

EXACTLY. After my last post, I looked more closely at what I passed by as a resistor, and noticed it said F 2 1/2 A on it- clearly a fuse rated 2.5 amps. After shorting it out by making it's two legs touch, the SCD worked instantly. I wonder how I blew that thing? Oh well, I'm off to get a new fuse now.

Thanks- this forum is great! If only it weren't so hard to find Sega CD ISO's, life would be perfect. :)

-Sam

Yeah I agree. I just bought a brand new Menacer for 21 euro's and I'm searching for Sega CD shooters.

I could only find these titles but they are VERY hard to get :damn: :

- Corpse Killer

- Crime Patrol

- Lethal Enforcers 1,2

- Mad Dog McCree 1,2

- Who Shot Johnny Rock

Is this list complete or does anybody know other SegaCD shooters?

JNB

Originally posted by racketboy@Nov 6, 2003 @ 06:15 PM

stupid question: how do you go about replacing a fuse?

(just for future reference)

I think some are clip ins, just as if your changing a fuse in a plug.

If its soldered, just melt the soilder off, pull the dud out, replace and resolder. I'm sure the PCB's copper tracks aint that small in something of that size.

Originally posted by KiDdErZ+Nov 6, 2003 @ 11:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KiDdErZ @ Nov 6, 2003 @ 11:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Nov 6, 2003 @ 06:15 PM

If its soildered, just melt the soilder off, pull the dud out, replace and resolder. I'm sure the PCB's copper tracks aint that small in something of that size. [/b][/quote]

where would you get something to replace it with?

Originally posted by racketboy+Nov 6, 2003 @ 06:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Nov 6, 2003 @ 06:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by KiDdErZ@Nov 6, 2003 @ 11:21 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-racketboy
@Nov 6, 2003 @ 06:15 PM

If its soildered, just melt the soilder off, pull the dud out, replace and resolder. I'm sure the PCB's copper tracks aint that small in something of that size.

where would you get something to replace it with? [/b][/quote]

Well I'm in England, I'd go an electronics shop like Maplin or Rapid Electronics...

Isn't Radio Shack a place in the USA that sells components?

I looked at the selection of fuses Radio Shack had to offer and did not see one, though I may have thrown myself off because the fuse looks so much like a resistor.

Does anyone have any suggestions for stores where I could acquire one?

I know RS Electronics sell the same type of fuses used in the MCD/SCD - they are called PICO fuses. I've never seen a retail outlet sell them (I'm in Aus), and these are pretty expensive when you include postage. Easiest way to replace them is to put a standard sized fuse holder in so you can use normal "glass tube" type fuses.

I'd guess that the subminature fuses are pretty fragile. It seems common for them to "blow" for no obvious reason.

Digikey might cary pico fuses. If all else fails you could just short across the connection, but of course the unit would no longer be protected by the fuse.

Originally posted by Curtis@Jan 11, 2004 @ 07:32 AM

I know RS Electronics sell the same type of fuses used in the MCD/SCD - they are called PICO fuses. I've never seen a retail outlet sell them (I'm in Aus), and these are pretty expensive when you include postage. Easiest way to replace them is to put a standard sized fuse holder in so you can use normal "glass tube" type fuses.

I'd guess that the subminature fuses are pretty fragile. It seems common for them to "blow" for no obvious reason.

Thanks for the links Mark of Destiny.

Well I bought a Mega cd model 1 from someone in the uk on ebay and got it yesterday. After the discovery that it didnt work, I decided to check these forums and was glad to find my problem seems to be a common problem....

I have the exact same problem: the mega cd seems totally dead, makes no sound at all, screen is black and sometimes the acces/read lights light up on power up. However, Im not using the adapter that came with it simply because a UK plug doesnt fit a Dutch socket-outlet! (yup im from holland). Instead Im using my Mega cd 2 adapter which does fit. As it has the same voltage/amps but only a different plug I thought it should work. Before im going to get me a new fuse, I want to know if its ok to use my Mega cd 2 adapter with Euro-plug instead of the UK one....

BTW the seller which i got the mega cd from, also said that he couldnt get the mega cd to power up, so I think the fuse was already broken before i got it.

Any replys would be very very welcome indeed!

Back