Sega CD or CDX?

I'm looking to get a Sega CD sometime soon and I was wondering which I should get. I know the CDX is quite a bit more than the top loading Sega CD but is it better? Does the CDX have known problems? Any help is appreciated.

I'm just gonna go with Ebay. I just want the most reliable system. I forgot to add the X' Eye. From what I have read it seems like the best bet is to just go with the Sega CD 2.

In my opinion, the Model 1 Sega CD is the most reliable of the bunch, not counting the likes of the X'eye, which I don't have any experience with. The Model 1 is definitely more solid than the Model 2 or CDX, though.

the CDX had heating problems if you use the 32x I have heard. Other than that I think it's pretty much equal. The Model1 is the most solid...I don't know about reliable (know lots of people where the cd drive goes out)

Model 1 rocks

Model 2 big and cumbersome

CDX - i would not advise using it for the 32X and I here it has problems with some games... never tested that for myself though.

I would go with the CDX. I've had the model 1 before and sold it. To me, it seemed like the CD tray caused the discs to get scratched after extensive playing.

I like the CDX because the CDs don't have to lay on a cd tray and spin. And the CDX saves lots of space and uses less electricity since it doesn't need two power adapters like a Sega Genesis with a Model 1 or Model 2 SEGA CD sytem.

And try playing a Model 1 or 2 Sega CD system in your car with a portable monitor. :p

I've had no problem with any of the major title CD or cartridge games running on the CDX. I don't use a 32X, so no overheating problems for me.

But everyone has their preference, so take the comments made here and decide which is best for you.

'Solid' meaning 'well made and durable', not literally solid. I just say that because the model 2 feels flimsy in comparison. The CDX is a nice unit, but you end up paying a premium for the same functionality that you get with a Gen+Sega CD. Also, I have never experienced the scratching problem that you speak of.

The CDX has some Sega CD game incompatibilities doesn't it? I thought I read that it has trouble playing Terminator and/or Jurassic Park cd games.

How about the X' Eye...I was looking to stay with Sega brand but if it's the best of the lot I would consider it.

Originally posted by E Nice@Wed, 2004-12-08 @ 05:54 PM

The CDX has some Sega CD game incompatibilities doesn't it? I thought I read that it has trouble playing Terminator and/or Jurassic Park cd games.

[post=125523]Quoted post[/post]​

I haven't heard about that, but I don't hear people saying Terminator or Jurassic Park are fun games to play either.

According to that listthe following Sega CD games don't work with the CDX:

Jurassic Park

Radical Rex

Terminator

Who Shot Johnny Rock

Yeah, but those games aren't really anything you'll be playing often and aren't worth the time (to me)..

The compact size of the Genesis CDX is best for me. It just takes up less space and I really only need it to play Snatcher and Ninja Warriors. :rockin:

I had an X'Eye and it never game me any problems (except that I couldn't use it with my 32x) plus it looks hella cool. I think I've read somewhere that the CDX has slower load times (1x speed as opposed to the 2x model 1 + 2... but I may be wrong). Personally I'd grab the X'Eye for rarity's sake.

Back