Sega Helps to Release Street Fighter 2 "TV Games"

racketboy

Established Member
Toy manufacturer Radica Games, Capcom Sega have announced Play TV Legends: Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition, an all-in-one 'TV game' costing $34.99.

To celebrate Street Fighter's 15th Anniversary, it will feature two six-button Sega Genesis controllers, both Street Fighter II: Champion Edition and Street Fighter II: Turbo (included in the original Genesis version of SFII: SCE), plus a bonus game, the Genesis version of Ghouls 'N Ghosts.

Radica's previously released Sega Genesis collections, available in two separate North American 'TV game' incarnations, include Sonic, Altered Beast, Vectorman, Phantasy Star & Golden Axe (Volume 1) and Sonic 2, Ecco, Gain Ground, The Ooze, Columns, and Alex Kidd & the Enchanted Castle (Volume 2), and seem to have been reviewed fairly positively.

I'm glad to see that they included a second controller into the package. Street Fighter is so much better with real competition. I believe this is the first "TV Games" package to offer multiplayer

I'm a little disappointed that it's not arcade-perfect, but I can see the cost argument for reusing the Genesis chips.

Genesis versions? Please. They're good conversions, but damn, is an SNES or CPS1 on a chip all that difficult? And if they have to use the Genesis versions, at least include Super SF2... two (common) Genesis titles for $34.99 is a little weak. Why not go all out and include some other titles like Mercs, Strider, Forgotten Worlds, or even Mega Man : The Wily Wars?

Yeah I figured the price increase was for the two controllers.

And considering they are probably going for keeping price down/profits up, they are probably going to re-use the Genesis chip. I don't think they are aiming these towards hardcore gamers that would even notice much of a difference.

But a few extra games would be nice

this actually isn't the first "TV game" to feature multiplayer, as the atari paddle TV game comes with two paddles.

don't think they are aiming these towards hardcore gamers that would even notice much of a difference.

But a few extra games would be nice

And what type of person, other than a 'hardcore gamer', do you think is going to be interested in playing SF2T, and, especially, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts?

Too be honest, I'm not sure -- I don't know anyone that has bought ANY of these TV Games.

I've always seen them as a setup for people that want cheap, easy to work games. Instead of a full console.

But I'm not sure how the company sees its target market.

That's true for the kid's games - the Spongebob and Spiderman ones, for example. But I think these retro compilations are targeted squarely at the older crowd. The Atari ones may have appealed to a broader audience, but SF and GnG? That's a little more specific.

Yeah I guess.

But unless you don't have a console already, these aren't a very good deal. Even if it was arcade perfect.

is an SNES or CPS1 on a chip all that difficult?

No, but if they already have a supplier for the Genesis chips (or if they've still got some in their factory/warehouse) it's probably quite a lot cheaper and faster to use those than to pay somebody to come up with a new chip (I'm assuming these guys bought the Genesis chips from a third party rather than designing it themselves) and do a production run.

Back