Sega Mega Drive 1 AV cable help please

Can anyone help me here?

I am looking for instructions and or pin outs etc on how to make a Sega Mega Drive 1 (Pal) AV cable you know that funny round DIN socket thingy at the back?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide or something.I cant seem to find one.

I also got some guide that shows you how to wire up the AV out to a PC compatible Monitor????

Dont know if that whould work but hey Im gonna try it!

Here's one page (2 seconds through Google).

To display the picture on a monitor you need a scandoubler ("generic VGA box") of some sort. For these devices, price is pretty much directly proportional to image quality.

Yeah I seen that 1 but I mean theres no guides on where or what to stick on the other end?

I am thinking a SCART lead end?

So now I know which ends at the Sega do what,where whould they go at the other end?

well i dunno if this helps but I decided to stick extra RCA connectors in the back of my Megadrive I (finding AV cables is darn impossible in Holland). So I wired it to the appropriate pins according to that same pinout from gamesx, and all I got was very fuxx0red black-and-white video... but technically, one could make a female scart connector in the back of the Megadrive and solder it to the RGB + Sync. pins on the DIN connector, and hook it up using a scart-to-scart cable... just might be easier than building your own cable.

Originally posted by AntiPasta@Oct 27, 2003 @ 09:28 PM

well i dunno if this helps but I decided to stick extra RCA connectors in the back of my Megadrive I (finding AV cables is darn impossible in Holland). So I wired it to the appropriate pins according to that same pinout from gamesx, and all I got was very fuxx0red black-and-white video...

If you used an RCA-SCART cable, your TV probably thought it was displaying an S-video picture; the composite pin is also used to transport the S-video luminance signal.

well after trying to do it I get nothing a black screen no sound nothing???

I have used a 8 PIN plug on the MD end and the other end a Female scart socket I think I gone very wrong with the pin outs can anybody suggest something?

That Pin Out in here from gamesX I think somes what the pins do but not where they are?

Also what PIN does the SYNC go to on the scart end I tried 20?????????

This is much hardy than I thouhgt?

Originally posted by antime@Oct 28, 2003 @ 05:35 PM

If you used an RCA-SCART cable, your TV probably thought it was displaying an S-video picture; the composite pin is also used to transport the S-video luminance signal.

thanks for the info, I never would've thought of that myself. So is there any way around it?

I got it workin now but its still wrong. When wired according to a guide I found the screen just scrolls because of the output from Pin 4 on the MD. If I cut it it works fine but the colours seem blurred I check everthing 3 or 4 times no shorts of bits of wire where they should not and also I have to run some wires to where they should not.

I might just have to find one :(

Hi :D

I can tottaly understand how flustrating the cable can be.Here in the uk sega decided to ship all megadrives with the cheap rf tv lead and the picture was rubbish.Having modded my megadrive i was amazed at the difference rgb makes.

Almost the same as an arcade cabinet. :lol:

I have read that to get it to run on monitoe etc what is required is a small cuircuit with an LM881 chip?

Am not shure if i got the description wright,This chip will allow the vertical and horizontal refresh rate of the monitor addapt to the megadrives output.

The crazy thing is the chips are only about $3 from MAPLIN and other establishments.The whole cuircuit will cost less than $10.

I use a VGA converter for the dreamcast and it is totally stunning,The best i have ever seen. :cheers

Ikaruga looks mindblowing in vga and on a projector etc.I also run Daytona 200 on a 100 inch screen on the dtreamcast and its the cheapest way i can get the arcade in my living room.With the dreamcast vga box i had a look and it is a really basic small box,The dreamcast already has vga output.

I was thinking of trying to wire it upi to the saturn which apparently can do high resolution and hdtv.

I think the best option for the megadrive as one user sujjested--A scart output at the back of the meachine.I tryed everywhere to get the correct eight pin configuration and they are available,But are not the same diameter as the Sega one.

I guess theres nothing stopping you using very good cable internally aswell,Also using a high grade scart cable between console and tv would look stunning.

One other option i have seen is to strip the megadrive out of its case and actually fit the components inside the tv itself.I know this is taking things a bit far but connecting the machine straight to the board inputs of the tv has to be the most direct route.

The cartridge slot is linked via an unbiicle cord and mounted externall from the tv.

I do have the megadrive pin outputs somewhere and will look them up for you.

All the best.

I.H. :hehehe:

Back