Sega picks up rights to Hulk, Captain America, Thor

Hmm.... what does this mean for the Marvel vs. Capcom franchise? Anything?

This is quite interesting indeed. I wonder why? The Hulk seemed to whither away after the movie, Thor has no marketing power, and well... good ole Cap has seen better days.

Still, this is an odd step for Sega.

Lets see...

New Hulk movie coming out. Check, 2008

New Captain America movie coming out. Check, 2009

Thor? who the hell cares.

As far as movie tie in goes, 2/3 is probably not bad. Hopefully the new Hulk movie is better than the previous one.

Edward Norton is taking over the role of Bruce Banner in Marvel Film's new Incredible Hulk movie, shooting this summer for 2008 release. The previous Hulk film made a ton of money, but cost too much to make and wasn't profitable. Universal passed on making the sequel, but Marvel was ready to make it on their own with their new studio and distribution via Lion's Gate. The next one is being made with a much smaller buget, which isn't a bad thing at all. Plus, it has Louis Leterrier attached as director. That's the guy who directed the Transporter movies and Unleashed / Danny the Dog. So it'll be more of an action flick than a drama like Ang Lee's version. Back on topic, what does this mean for SEGA? Sounds like they'll be doing the movie-tie-in game and perhaps a follow-up.

Captain America has a film on slate for 2009, not to mention all the press about his recent "death" at the end of Civl War. (I suspect that the recently ressurected Bucky Barnes is going to be the "new" Captain America for a while, then it'll be revealed that SHIELD has Steve Rogers frozen somewhere and brings him back.) So here again, SEGA is probably doing a movie-based game.

So, as for Thor... Guess what. Yup. Thor's movie is ETA 2009. It'll probably be animated, part of the Ultimate Avengers line, but I wouldn't rule out a live-action flick.

Back