Sega Plans to Stop GD-ROM Production 02/2007

hkt06_dcs_01.png
hkt06_dcs_02.png

Via Dreamcast-Scene

It is nearly certain that Sega of Japan plans to discontinue production of GD-ROM media in February, 2007. This media is used almost exclusively by the Sega Dreamcast home console, and the NAOMI arcade system. By stopping production, future official games (licensed by Sega) on the Dreamcast or NAOMI will not be possible.

(The NAOMI is important, because games such as Ikaruga, Border Down, Puyo Puyo Fever, and nearly all official import DC games from 2004-2007 originated on NAOMI.)

If GD-ROM production is discontinued, this means:

* No more NAOMI arcade games

* No more NAOMI ports to Dreamcast (Recent NAOMI ports include Under Defeat and Radirgy)

* Trigger Heart Exelica (February 2007) and Karous (March 2007) will unexpectedly be the final official Dreamcast games.

This doesn't need to happen, as developers are fond of the NAOMI for its relative low cost, ease of production and accessibility, and straightforward ports to the Dreamcast home console. Warashi returned to the scroll shooting genre with Trigger Heart Exelica on NAOMI, and Milestone would likely gladly continue to produce further games following Karous on the system as well.

Sega themselves have recently presented Dynamite Deka EX running on NAOMI. If GD-ROM production continues, there is a much greater chance that we'll see a home console port of this game on DC within a year. Please speak up now, and help us to ensure the continuation of GD-ROM production.

In order to show your opposition for the ceasing of production of GD-ROM media, please click on the image below, save and print, sign and date it, and then mail it to Sega of Japan, located at the following address:

Sega of Japan

1-2-12 Haneda

Ohta-ku, Tokyo, 144-8531

Japan

Because of the urgency of this matter, we, as Dreamcast-Scene, do not have time to compile collected signatures and send them in a large package as usual. These letters will need to be sent straight to the source. If you bring the sealed and addressed envelope to your local post office, they will be able to affix the exact amount of postage.

Click image to enlarge

Time is of the essence. Please do this as soon as you can. Thank you. - Dreamcast-Scene.com, and Dreamcast fans everywhere.

Would be bad for next coming games also is there a way to send them this form by mail ? It would be easier for many people.

I'll send them something. I have something to ship anyways. By the way, where is the image? it seems to be missing.

The bit about ending GD-ROM production meaning the end of NAOMI games is not true. NAOMI does not require GD-ROM media.

ExCyber said:
The bit about ending GD-ROM production meaning the end of NAOMI games is not true. NAOMI does not require GD-ROM media.

Sorry, I dont quite follow. I know that the Naomi uses carts, but it has been a long time since any have been released. GD-Rom games on the other hand seemed to have been alot more prolific. Are you suggesting that the dept. that manufactures for Naomi GD-Rom is some how not ceasing production or did i miss your point altogether?

I mean that from a technical standpoint, you don't need to be able to produce a GD-ROM in order to produce a NAOMI game, since NAOMI systems also take carts. Ending GD production certainly could be a blow to NAOMI developers, but the article text makes it out like it's necessarily a fatal one. While the unit price of carts is obviously much higher than that of optical discs, carts offer a much higher degree of design and production flexibility.

So what's going on with this? At least one developer (Triangle Service) just released a new NAOMI game, which I assume is on GDROM.

Back