SEGA Saturn 29th Anniversary Game Competition

Hacks, Patches, and Translations Category Rankings​

GameChrista LeeDavid Gámiz JiménezJason SteeleJenoviJohannes FetzPandaMoniumSaturn DaveSegaholicTraynoCo
J.B. Harold Blue Chicago Blues - English Patch – Arjak842-113287
Shining the Holy Ark Hard Mode – Rikapso9117-888610
Dungeon Master Nexus English Translation – ChristopheF334-66594
Silhouette Mirage English Patch - Rasputin3000223-57433
Sonic 3D Oops All Special Stages – bbayles121010-10111048
Stellar Assault SS English Localization – Danthrax151-11111
Sonic Jam Tails World – bbayles10912-41011109
Sakura Wars Portuguese - Sansigolo786-74776
Shadows of the Tusk - Knight0fDragon515-22355
Soul Hackers - TrekkiesUnite118479-95622
Radiant Silvergun - Text Removal Hack - privateye131211-1312121312
Doom Fix Patch – fafling668-3991111
SRX Project - ROS111313-1213131213
RankGameScore
1Stellar Assault SS English Localization – Danthrax12
2Shadows of the Tusk - Knight0fDragon28
3Silhouette Mirage English Patch - Rasputin300029
4Dungeon Master Nexus English Translation – ChristopheF40
5Soul Hackers - TrekkiesUnite11844
6J.B. Harold Blue Chicago Blues - English Patch – Arjak45
7Sakura Wars Portuguese - Sansigolo52
8Doom Fix Patch – fafling63
9Shining the Holy Ark Hard Mode – Rikapso67
10Sonic 3D Oops All Special Stages – bbayles75
10Sonic Jam Tails World – bbayles75
12Radiant Silvergun - Text Removal Hack - privateye98
13SRX Project - ROS100

Utilities Category Rankings​

GameChrista LeeDavid Gámiz JiménezJason SteeleJenoviJohannes FetzPandaMoniumSaturn DaveSegaholicTraynoCo
Shining Force 3 Tools - Rikapso525-35355
FilmMuxer – TrekkiesUnite118411-14223
Dungeon Master Nexus Translation Kit - ChristopheF354-42542
Kronos Netlink - Knight0fDragon233-21414
240p Test Suite - hitomi2500142-53131
RankGameScore
1FilmMuxer – TrekkiesUnite11818
2Kronos Netlink - Knight0fDragon20
2240p Test Suite - hitomi250020
4Dungeon Master Nexus Translation Kit - ChristopheF29
5Shining Force 3 Tools - Rikapso33

Firstly, thank you and congratulations to all for your work and for sharing it with the Sega Saturn community! And I'm going to say a few words about each entry according to the order in which I voted:

Original Games
Cold Case – Jberetta
It has been one of the games that has surprised me the most in a long time. Because of Jberetta's daring and determination to make a game of this type and magnitude. Immediately, it reminded me of Headhunter mixed with Silent hill. And the ideas that his proposal shows are fascinating. It's clear that you need a lot of time and resources to make this bigger. But as an appetizer for Sega Saturn lovers, it is incredible! Thank you! :)

Slide Hop – Ponut64
Well what can I say. Ponut64 is like a little ant. It has gone little by little in everything. In his knowledge of the machine, its code, its engine, its technologies, its game and the mechanics. But this year it gives us its largest version and full of incredible ideas. The settings and the mechanics and the physics have left me speechless! We need to find a motivated artist to help give texture and shape to that world. And we would be looking at a true Sega Saturn gem! It's got personality, it's technically brutal and it's fun! Thanks Ponut64!

Red Moon Lost Days – Sansigolo
Another example of perseverance in every way like Ponut64. A complete game, also with two well-defined and complete mechanics. An outstanding artistic and technical work. We have been able to see with the previews throughout this time how chapter by chapter, Sansigolo has been shaping his great game. And here we have it for the entire Sega Saturn community to enjoy, thank you very much! :)

PICO-8 Emulator – Ervilsoft
Just like its CHIP-8, this PICO-8 has blown my mind. A PICO emulator in SS! And also with a lot of very nice games. Another technical miracle from Ervilsoft! Thank you! :)

Utenya – SuperReye
SuperReye does not disappoint. Another genius of the community. That he is always contributing technically. And he also likes to take risks in the entries with small but original games. And this was not going to be less. Thank you!! :)

Cube Cat – 7shades
Cube Cat returns. Furthermore, now on a technical level, 7shades is risking even more, with his transfer to Yaul. As always a sweet and fun game. That moves great. With new levels and mechanics, much more than its predecessor. Thanks 7shades! Keep it up! :)

Telocation Gemini – Cobradile
It has been a pleasure to see the technical evolution of Cobradile during all this time, and to enjoy the result in this Telocation Gemini. Keep it up! And thanks for your perseverance!! :)

Sonic Boss Tech Demo – am.25
Another community partner who is slowly advancing. Seriously, seeing you grow like this, and seeing that you also have the desire to do great things, motivates from the heart! A great technical demo of Sonic, keep it up! :)

Maria Renard's Revenge – z-team
I think this game, along with Cold Case, is the other one that blew my mind when I saw it. It is true that at a technical level it is still to be refined. But the artistic section is incredible. I hope this Maria reaches all the guys potential of her! Welcome and thank you!! :)

Flashback – vbt
Vbt is the soul of the community. His passion and his courage are authentic and a trademark of the house. He gives us another port, but what a port. Flashback mac version in high resolution. It is true that the speed is not the best in the world. But I trust that vbt can optimize it and reach Wolfestein's level, what a time it took, but it turned out magnificent! Thanks vbt you never disappoint! :)

Saturn Wordle – not-AI-generated
And another big surprise. If I'm not mistaken, the first entry uses the Saturn keyboard exclusively. Also with an original play on words. Magnificent not-AI-generated! Welcome and thank you! :)

Sweeper Squad – sling
Slinga likes small but very well finished games, and this is also the case. He gives us a multiplayer minesweeper with up to 12 players. He also likes to always bring something new on a technical level. And this year it has not disappointed. Thanks mate! Keep it up! :)

Pixel Poppy Pong - nando
Maybe it is a very modest game. But we have been able to see that little by little he has been learning and taking steps in his knowledge during these months. It is, as I always say, lucky and a pleasure to be able to share this with the community. And here is the result. A small entrance but very well finished! Thank you and welcome!! :)

Jacky Car – cafe-alpha
Cafe-alpha doesn't have to show me that he is a genius and an incredible technician. He likes small arcade games, and he gives us another one again. Thank you very much, mate! :)

Cinepak Demo Reel – TrekkiesUnite118
TrekkiesUnite118 is the reference for Cinepak and FMV in the Sega Saturn community. And with this entry he corroborates it. Wow video quality mate! Thank you! ;)

VTT Championship – vbt
Vbt always gives us a nice entry, and this is this year's. But be careful! With a couple more turns, it could be a very fun car game with mode 7. Thanks again mate! :)

Hacks Patches and Translations
Shadows of the Tusk – Knight0fDragon
What a great translation, Knight0fDragon never disappoints. And in this case he gives us a great role-playing game that stayed in Japan, like so many. At the level of finishing it is sublime, it is perceived in the details. His level and his taste. Thank you! :)

Silhouette Mirage English Patch – Rasputin3000
Thank you Rasputin3000, thank you for finally bringing us this game translated into English. Now we can enjoy it in all its glory! Welcome, and we hope you continue to surprise us like this! :)

Dungeon Master Nexus English Translation – ChristopheF
And another great translation job, and also in two languages! Thank you/Merci ChristopheF! Another great Japanese RPG that we can now play in all its splendor thanks to you, keep it up and welcome! :)

J.B. Harold Blue Chicago Blues (Disc 1) - English Patch – Arjak
Another game that comes to us from Japan. Western game that only came out there. And thanks to Arjak's great work we can now enjoy both text and audio. Thank you!! :)

Stellar Assault SS English Localization – Danthrax
I don't want to take away even one iota of epicness from this translation. I already rated it highly in its demo version from another year. And for this I lower something on the list. But it is still sublime, both the translation and its implementation. Like the dubbed voices and the acting. Like the inclusion of the controller with mission stick! Thank you very much! :)

Doom Fix Patch – fafling
Fafling without it, we would be lost in the technical bowels of our favorite machine. And also this year he gives us this patch, for doom. It is clear that it is not going to fix it 100%. But now at least it goes a little faster at times and the sound sounds clearly better! Apart from other improvements! Thanks mate! :)

Soul Hackers – TrekkiesUnite118
Another great wish from the community. And of course, TrekkiesUnite118 has accepted the challenge. It is in an early state, but we can already see the level of care in the translation and implementation of it. Thanks mate! :)

Sakura Wars Portuguese - sansigolo
sansigolo not only by participating with his complete game. Also, this past year he has been working on this Portuguese translation of this magnificent and classic game of our machine. Before TrekkiesUnite118 together with an incredible team brought it to us in English and now in Portuguese. Does anyone dare to speak Spanish? ;) Thanks again sansigolo for making our community great! :)

Sonic Jam Tails World – bbayles/privateye
bbayles never stops giving us joy through his tremendous hacking and modding skills. In this case it brings us Tails to Sonic Jam. And it makes us imagine once again a Sonic game for our SS, and it wouldn't have been bad at all! Thank you!! :)

Sonic 3D Oops All Special Stages – bbayles/privateye
And again another great contribution from bbayles. In this case about the special 3D levels of Sonic 3D for SS!!! Thanks again! :)

Shining the Holy Ark Hard Mode – Rikapso
One of those games that I would like to play one day to see if I can get it. But not with this patch, at least the first time. ;) If you want more Shining the Holy Ark this is your project. Rikapso brings us the extra difficulty mode, adjusting everything with mastery. Thank you and welcome! :)

Radiant Silvergun – Text Removal Hack – privateye
privateye is always encouraged to participate, and this year he dares with one of the sacred cows of the SS. And good to give it a slight touch up, less texts and more bullets!! Big!! Thank you!!! :)

SRX Project (cel) – ROS
ROS joins the community and dares with another sacred cow, none other than Sega Rally! He manages to change the car models. Which is not bad at all! Thank you and congratulations! :)

Utilities
FilmMuxer – TrekkiesUnite118
TrekkiesUnite118 once again demonstrating their knowledge of FMVs for SS. Here he gives us one more tool to now be able to use ADX audio streams together with Cinepak streams. With this you can increase the video quality significantly. As always, all tools open future possibilities of better features for future projects. Thanks again!!

Shining force 3 Tools – Rikapso
Tools like these have always fascinated me. How to take SF3 to the limits that your imagination allows you in this case. Thank you and welcome Rikapso!!!

Kronos Netlink – Knight0fDragon
Knight0fDragon is becoming our top expert in the netlink community for SS. He now gives us this iteration for Kronos. This opens possibilities for future developments to be able to quickly use and test for online play! Thanks mate! :)

240p Test Suite – hitomi2500
hitomi2500 always gives us a useful tool for our machines. Now it brings us the well-known 240p test suite, which has already been showcased on smaller consoles. Now in the 32bit Sega!! Thank you!! :)

See you the next year! I hope it will be even better than this year, although this was one of the better! ;)

Last edited:
Stellar Assault SS English Localization – Danthrax
I don't want to take away even one iota of epicness from this translation. I already rated it highly in its demo version from another year. And for this I lower something on the list. But it is still sublime, both the text translation and its implementation. Like the dubbed voices and the acting. Like the inclusion of the controller with double joystick! Thank you very much! :)
Hi David, I just wanted to clear some things up. With Stellar Assault SS, we didn't translate any text. All of the on-screen text was already in English, although we reworded much of the options screens' text to sound better to English speakers. All of the translation, though, was dialogue that we redubbed.

Also, we didn't add double joystick support — not sure if you mean the Twin Stick? — we added support for the Mission Stick, which is the Saturn's flight stick peripheral.

Last edited:
Hi David, I just wanted to clear some things up. With Stellar Assault SS, we didn't translate any text. All of the on-screen text was already in English, although we reworded much of the options screens' text to sound better to English speakers. All of the translation, though, was dialogue that we redubbed.

Also, we didn't add double joystick support — not sure if you mean the Twin Stick? — we added support for the Mission Stick, which is the Saturn's flight stick peripheral.
Hi, sorry if my short text not take all the wide of your project. I did a short fast text for every entry. Yes, I mean mission stick. And yes, i want to say dubbing traduction also I will fix the text. Thanks again for this titanic work. My respect. :)

Everyone. Thank you for participating and congratulations to our winners. Just so everyone knows, everyone who won a cash prize is entitled to a 3D print. Everyone who *entered* (regardless of placement) can elect to get a serial to USB adapter for their Saturn.

I need payment info (PayPal, Venmo, CashApp, Zelle, etc) and shipping info (for physical prizes) by Tuesday, April 30th, 2024 via direct message here in the forums. Anyone who hasn't sent me the info by then will have their physical prizes forfeited and cash prizes recycled into next year's competition.

Thank you again to our sponsors for helping to support the competition:
  • Fenrir
  • Sound Retro Co.
  • Haruman Customs
  • That's It Guys 3D Printing Service
  • Knight0fDragon

I am building them by hand, so some rough numbers would be nice. If you are in a team, we can probably work something out to get additional cables.

Everyone. Thank you for participating and congratulations to our winners. Just so everyone knows, everyone who won a cash prize is entitled to a 3D print. Everyone who *entered* (regardless of placement) can elect to get a serial to USB adapter for their Saturn.

I need payment info (PayPal, Venmo, CashApp, Zelle, etc) and shipping info (for physical prizes) by Tuesday, April 30th, 2024 via direct message here in the forums. Anyone who hasn't sent me the info by then will have their physical prizes forfeited and cash prizes recycled into next year's competition.

Thank you again to our sponsors for helping to support the competition:
  • Fenrir
  • Sound Retro Co.
  • Haruman Customs
  • That's It Guys 3D Printing Service
  • Knight0fDragon
sent a pm!

Back