Sega Saturn Ram Cartridge PCB Images

Here are the pcb images for the sega saturn ram cartridges.

1Mb Cartridge (2x HM514260CJ-7):

Saturn_HSS-0150.jpg

Front
AackdC8.jpg

Back
2G0nhSu.jpg

4Mb Cartridge (2x HY5118164BJC-60):

Saturn_HSS-0167.jpg

Front
vK0LId7.jpg

Back
3h28GZB.jpg

With some search, i did find some sellers for this memory chips, but the controller chip can be replaced for making replacements for each cartridge?

With some search, i did find some sellers for this memory chips, but the controller chip can be replaced for making replacements for each cartridge?
i don't know if anyone's specifically reverse engineered the sega chips or whether the pinout is already out there somewhere but there IO chips so it probs wouldn't be too difficult for someone with experience in that area.

The IC is used to translate the cartridge port's linear addresses into the row/column scheme used by DRAM chips. Eg. the old Action Replays use a PAL and a couple of quad muxes to implement the same functionality.

The IC is used to translate the cartridge port's linear addresses into the row/column scheme used by DRAM chips. Eg. the old Action Replays use a PAL and a couple of quad muxes to implement the same functionality.
thanks for the info, however as i'm sure you're aware the action replay doesn't do a great job at it and some games have issues sadly

thanks for the info, however as i'm sure you're aware the action replay doesn't do a great job at it and some games have issues sadly

The action replay cart acts as a 4MB cartridge only (even if it claims to be both). So a lot of the issues you see are the same ones you'll get using an official 4MB cartridge on 1MB cartridge games.

The action replay cart acts as a 4MB cartridge only (even if it claims to be both). So a lot of the issues you see are the same ones you'll get using an official 4MB cartridge on 1MB cartridge games.
yeah i noticed that, i've tried lifting the vcc pins on some of the ram chips to try to limit the cartridge to 1mb to see if i could fix this issue by physically switching some ram off but sadly even disabling power to one chip causes ram error screen to show up, maybe there's another way to do it or perhaps it requires a modified action replay firmware for that to be able to work but i'm not sure at this point.

Back