Sega Saturn Woes

Okay, this has been a problem I have had for months now. My Saturn is slowly dying. First, my cartridge slot might have died. It won't seem to detect my Datel 8 Meg memory card, which has lots of data from my games. Second, almost all of my backups have trouble spinning! It may be the thickness of the CD-Rs depnding on the brand, but my Saturn sure as hell wasn't having difficulties getting the games to spin in the drive many months ago. So, what happened? What could have caused such problems? Also, what can I do to fix them? Is my Saturn doomed?

Note 1: This all happened over the course of a visit to a relative's house. I didn't even use the Saturn!

Note 2: Another problem is that Japanese backups refuse to boot. Either I, 1. Forgot to change the reigon, 2. Mixed up the games with changed reigons with the unaltered games, or 3. My Saturn's caught on to what I was doing. Also, to completly change the purpose of this note, original games I purchased play fine.

Note 3: These games were played on a US Model 1 Sega Saturn via the swap trick.

Originally posted by 20by20@Sat, 2006-06-24 @ 09:37 PM

my cartridge slot might have died. It won't seem to detect my Datel 8 Meg memory card, which has lots of data from my games. Second, almost all of my backups have trouble spinning! It may be the thickness of the CD-Rs depnding on the brand

Note 3: These games were played on a US Model 1 Sega Saturn via the swap trick.

[post=146772]Quoted post[/post]​

RE: Sega saturn unit

You've answered your own question swap trick tends to screw up sega saturn units, Model 1 sega saturns are more prone to danger via swap trick because it is not as tough as model 2s

No, it's not yet doomed you can still revive it by adjusting certain pots in the cd-rom to make it read original cds again. If you can provide us some photo of your cd-rom I can guide you on what to do because there are variety of saturn cd-roms to deal with and I'm not sure what your cd-rom looks like

RE: cartridge slot & memory card

If you can open up your memory cartridge, clean the edge (with pins) using a metal polish or WIPE OUT dirt and stain remover, some dirt build-up causes malfunctions to the cartridge

Originally posted by orta@Sun, 2006-06-25 @ 12:50 AM

RE: Sega saturn unit

No, it's not yet doomed you can still revive it by adjusting certain pots in the cd-rom to make it read original cds again. If you can provide us some photo of your cd-rom I can guide you on what to do because there are variety of saturn cd-roms to deal with and I'm not sure what your cd-rom looks like

[post=146774]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, as I mentioned, original Saturn cds still run and play fine. These original cds are games that I have purchased from a variety of web sites. As for the backups, do you need a photo of one of them? I am a little unsure as to what you are requesting I need a picture of. Besides that, thanks for the cartridge info. I'll have to try those things out sometime soon.

Note: To let you all know, these backups still play fine, but I am afriad of the damage that is being caused to the system and the cds if I play those backups.

Originally posted by 20by20@Sun, 2006-06-25 @ 07:19 AM

Well, as I mentioned, original Saturn cds still run and play fine. These original cds are games that I have purchased from a variety of web sites. As for the backups, do you need a photo of one of them?

[post=146775]Quoted post[/post]​

Well if original cds still plays fine on your saturn, you don't need to adjust pots "YET",

But if you still do the swap trick to play back-ups the saturn's laser assembly's performance will degrade and eventually die. I suggest you stop doing the swap trick if you value your sega saturn.

As for the photo's I'm refering about the cd-rom inside your sega saturn, :D you may disregard my request .

Originally posted by orta@Sun, 2006-06-25 @ 09:03 AM

If you still do the swap trick to play back-ups the saturn's laser assembly's performance will degrade and eventually die. I suggest you stop doing the swap trick if you value your sega saturn.

[post=146776]Quoted post[/post]​

Would it be a good idea to but a modded Saturn to play backups on? Would the laser still slowly die even if I use the chip instead?

Yes, I am aware I ask too many questions. :p

Edit: Now my problem has gotten worse! The problems I'm having with many backups are now occuring with many of my official Saturn game cds! I now have a feeling I need a new Saturn.

Hello.

Well, all optic dispositives have a limited life.

Even CDs have a limited life.

What's happening is that your laser is losing power,so maybe its time to give him a little power up by adjusting the POT.

Of course, doing this, you're begining to announce your slowly SS end.

The same happens with all things, it's just matter of time.

Regards.

Originally posted by SaturnAR@Sun, 2006-06-25 @ 01:06 PM

What's happening is that your laser is losing power,so maybe its time to give him a little power up by adjusting the POT.

[post=146781]Quoted post[/post]​

What is the Saturn's POT everyone is speaking of? Could someone tell me what to do to adjust it? (Dear God, I just have question after question to ask.)

The POT is a POTENCIOMETER, a variable resistor that sets lens power. You should find it near the lens. You must turn it to the right a little bit(i mean, really little) and try the CD games until you think it reads ok.

Dont turn it more than necessary, because you can make SS stop reading at all(you will need to find the correct position again) or extremly reduce lens life.

Good luck!

Originally posted by SaturnAR@Sun, 2006-06-25 @ 05:19 PM

The POT is a POTENCIOMETER, a variable resistor that sets lens power. You should find it near the lens. You must turn it to the right a little bit(i mean, really little) and try the CD games until you think it reads ok.

Dont turn it more than necessary, because you can make SS stop reading at all(you will need to find the correct position again) or extremly reduce lens life.

Good luck!

[post=146784]Quoted post[/post]​

Saturnrar is correct but :agree If your Sega saturn is a model 1 with oval power buttons and reset switch you should not turn any pots without any guidance from someone who knows.

As i've said before the saturn model 1 is not thesame as model 2.

The model 1 sega saturn's cd-rom (which can be found inside when you open up your sega saturn) has 4 potenciometer, the first three can be found on the left edge of the cd-rom and the other one can be found underneath the lens, NOT ALL SEGA SATURN are thesame and not all lens problem can be remedied by adjusting the pot underneath the lens

Originally posted by 20by20@Sun, 2006-06-25 @ 09:31 AM

Yes, I am aware I ask too many questions. :p

Edit: Now my problem has gotten worse! The problems I'm having with many backups are now occuring with many of my official Saturn game cds! I now have a feeling I need a new Saturn.

[post=146780]Quoted post[/post]​

The forum is made for asking questions so don't worry about that :D

It's better to buy a modchip to play back-ups, but in your case I suggest buying a new modded sega saturn is better.

Looks like your sega saturn isa slowly dieing :(

Originally posted by orta@Sun, 2006-06-25 @ 10:17 PM

The forum is made for asking questions so don't worry about that :D

It's better to buy a modchip to play back-ups, but in your case I suggest buying a new modded sega saturn is better.

Looks like your sega saturn isa slowly dieing :(

[post=146788]Quoted post[/post]​

sega still fixes saturns just to let ya know www.sega.com for repair info

Originally posted by axcc12@Fri, 2006-06-30 @ 10:16 AM

sega still fixes saturns just to let ya know www.sega.com for repair info

[post=146847]Quoted post[/post]​

How much would the shipping, labor and spare parts be to send your old sega saturn unit to sega.com for repairs?

Wouldn't it be more practical to buy a new one if the one you sent for repair has only 3-6 months repair warranty and sending it again if it malfunctions?

Back