• Rise from your gwave!

SGL sound related

Discussion in 'Saturn Dev' started by legion stride, Jan 31, 2002.

1. legion stride

legion stride New Member

Does anyone know anything about using sound effects in SGL? The manuals say it can be done, however...it mentions 2 tools for Macintosh that are used to edit and convert the wave data for use on the Saturn. I just need to know if there are PC equivalents to these tools or if there was another way to handle sound data.

I probably should've put this under my last post since their both kinda related.

Once again, any help or advice is appreciated. Right! See ya!! :)

2. ExCyber

ExCyber Staff Member

To play sound with SGL, you apparently need to build the SGL sound driver. I have no idea how to do this.

edit: try page 272 of the SGL tutorial doc (237-r1.pdf) if you have it. If not:

Basically, you need to load the sound driver (which is available as "sddrvstsk" by including sddrvs.dat) with a call to slInitSound. The simpler example call looks like this:

Code:
    char sound_map[] = {0xff , 0xff};

slInitSound(sddrvstsk , sizeof(sddrvstsk) , (Uint8 *)sound_map , sizeof(sound_map));

I'm rather clueless on the sound map thing, as I can't find it in the SGL reference.

Then you can use the SGL sound functions (I think :)). I assume the main ones you want are:

SlPCMOn

SlPCMOff

SlPCMStat

(Edited by ExCyber at 2:08 am on Feb. 1, 2002)

edit: had the wrong filename for the SGL tutorial PDF...

(Edited by ExCyber at 2:11 am on Feb. 1, 2002)

3. CyberWarriorX

CyberWarriorX New Member

The tools were only for mac.

iirc, you need to use the 68k compiler to build the sound driver. I also thought I saw sega's SDDRVS source code included in the SGL.

166-R4.pdf has information on using area maps, etc. You just have to rummage through it.

SlPCM* is fine for plain old raw PCM effects. But if you plan on using any sequence-based effects as well, read up also on SlSequence*

Cyber Warrior X

4. legion stride

legion stride New Member

Yeah! 'slPCMOn()' works right. But...I think I will study 'slSequence' anyway. Programming is one of those things where "Its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it" (Uh, I think I said that right :)). Plus, there's probably a great use for it if I can figure it out.

Thanks for the help you two! Okay, take care!