Shenmue II

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
An Epic Quest in a Modern World

Seeking answers and vengeance, Ryo Hazuki arrives in the bustling metropolis of Hong Kong. Encountering new friends and foes alike, Ryo realizes he has much to learn and must master new martial art skills to prepare himself for his ultimate showdown with Lan Di, the man who killed his father. Each day brings Ryo closer to his goal of avenging his father's death and unlocking the mysteries of the Phoenix Mirror.
  • A massive detailed 3D world! Walk the streets of a virtual Hong Kong and converse and interact with over 1000 unique characters.
  • Intense Combat - train hard and master real-time fight moves taken from the acclaimed Virtua Fighter™ series.
  • Frequent Fights, pulse-pounding chases, and intense action occur in a myriad of perilous encounters.
  • Experience an epic adventure first-hand with all the drama, mystery, and intrigue of a live action movie.
  • Xbox™ version includes a Snap-shot camera and Surround Sound cut scenes using Dolby® Digital 5.1!
  • Written and produced by Yu Suzuki, legendary creator of Virtua Fighter, Out Run™, Hang On™, & After Burner™.

Attachments

• ShenmueII.jpg
    ShenmueII.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 103
  • ShenmueII.jpg
    ShenmueII.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 112
Since I cannot command the English language skillfully enough to accurately express my love of this game, allow me to present a skit to try to explain it:

(Shenmue II enters)

Shenmue II: Hi. I'm Shenmue II. I was made by Yu Suzuki.

(Rex Dart enters)

Rex Dart: HAVE MY BABIES!!! : :wub: :drool: :wub: :drool:

(Exit)

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about this game. :D

Originally posted by Curtis+Sep 27, 2004 @ 04:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis @ Sep 27, 2004 @ 04:19 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>For the Xbox?  Forgetting something Akuma? :p

[post=119779]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]
No, I was going for diversity. We have plenty of Saturn and DC games already. Besides, there is a PAL version on the Xbox as well.

Originally posted by AntiPasta@Sep 27, 2004 @ 01:38 PM

Yes indeed, first and foremost it's for the beloved Dreamcast  :damn:
Correction, it was out for the Dreamcast first, but was later released on the Xbox as well. Also, it's not like you can't talk about the DC version. ;)

<!--QuoteBegin-AntiPasta
@Sep 27, 2004 @ 01:38 PM

Gawd, this board is so America-centric  :flamethrower:
[post=119819]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]What did you expect? It was founded by an American after all. :eek:mg: :lol: And just so you know, I own the DC (PAL) version of Shenmue II, but not the Xbox version... so there! :p

It is too bad that Sega decided to release it on the Xbox.

Several fans of the first game simply imported the game, and never bothered with the Xbox version. And most Xbox owners completely ignored it.

Shenmue II, someone as beautiful as you was not meant for this world. :wub:

I bought Shenmue II for my DC before I was even done with the first one. I knew I'd want to play it ASAP. That said, it vastly improved upon the first. With the exception of the 4th disc, Shenmue II addressed many of the more annoying issues with the first game. Yes, there are also some annoying jobs you have to perform to make money, but over all the game creates a submersive world that's fun to explore.

I've never played the XBox version. The lack of an XBox prohibits me from doing so. I hope to God there's a 3rd installment that finishes the series. Leaving Ryo in that cave doesn't seem right.

Originally posted by reX dart: eskimo spy@Sep 27, 2004 @ 07:16 PM

It is too bad that Sega decided to release it on the Xbox.

Several fans of the first game simply imported the game, and never bothered with the Xbox version. And most Xbox owners completely ignored it.

Shenmue II, someone as beautiful as you was not meant for this world. :wub:

[post=119847]Quoted post[/post]​

I've got it on Dremcast and Xbox, but never got very far in the Xbox one because the voice-acting was horrific.

I also love this game :bow it is one of my all time favorite Dreamcast games. I still play through both games at least once a year.

Originally posted by reX dart: eskimo spy@Oct 8, 2004 @ 05:29 PM

Did you really think the voice acting was that bad? :/

I rather liked it. Perhaps not the greatest ever, but certainly passable.

[post=120641]Quoted post[/post]​

I played the Xbox version after having played the Dreamcast version with Japanese voices countless times. Firing up the game on Xbox and hearing my favorite characters with sub-par English dubbing was disturbing. Every time I met one of the main characters for the first time, I'd groan, "Nooooo, what did they go and do that for!?!?". I didn't even want to play up until the part where you meet Ren; IMO he had the best voice acting in the Dreamcast version.

But you're right, it is half-decent, If I had played the Xbox version first I probably wouldn't care as much. It's not like it is House of the Dead bad voice acting.

Hmm, I played though the game on the dreamcast, and one day I was curious so I bought a used copy for the xbox. Now I haven't played it in ages on the DC, but I can't really see a visual difference between the two games. I can't even tell if the Xbox version runs smoother, which it apparently does according to so many reviews. In any case, it seems to me clearly to get the UK import of the DC version.

It depends on the area. There are some areas in the DC version (like that scene with the crowd in the mall) where the DC version absolutely chugs. Overall, it's not a big difference.

Seriousily, why the hell was this released PAL and not US... it was translated for PAL, how hard would of it been to put it into the US!? What "it wouldn't sell enough here", bah, from what I could tell about my town, Shenmue 1 was the reason most people bought DC's.

What can I say ... Shenmue II is one of the best games I ever played : all the little flaws from the first episode were removed, the immersion is total ...

If one game has to be chosen to define the word epic, it would be this one :)

Just one little regret though : the last chapter is a bit weak compared to the others, but I think it's intended this way (more oniric and surnatural ...)

In conclusion : I'll buy any system on which Shenmue III will be released :D

Back