Shenmue Online

to be honest, it sounds dumb. Doesn't sound like you follow the story of Ryo.

Ooh boy, I can hang out in 80's China as some character I don't know.

still its a new shenmue... I would rather have shenmue 3... but hey I will settle for this.

if it floats your boat :)

I'm not one for games that depend on online gaming.

Online features are nice, but when the game dies down and nobody plays it anymore besides you, it's no good.

I like the idea of being able to get into a multiplayer 50 man martial arts battle a la Shenmue. Online brawling/fighting is a genre that's really lacking for some reason (other than the excellent looking Rag Doll Kung Fu). But other than that, it doesn't interest me that much, because a game like this probably won't advance the story in any meaningful way.

There's a couple pretty intense threads about this over at Shenmue Dojo. As a fan of the series I have mixed feelings.

First, it's obviously not Shenmue III. Shenmue III would continue or conclude the story of Ryo. Shenmue Online does not do that. There's no way it could. MMO games are pretty weak as far as story lines go. They have to be. You can't have 50,000 Ryos running around trying to complete the same task. That's why this seems pretty lame to me. Shenmue is really only as good as its story and atmosphere. As mentioned, the story will be weak to non-existent. The atmosphere also is shot. The last thing I want is to run around a really cool environment while reading the posts of a bunch of 12 year olds who swear and use 1337 |-|@><0r speak. The whole world of Shenmue is lost in a MMO game, no matter how you try to look at it.

However, it is Shenmue. Though it could have just as easily been called "Generic Kung Fu MMO Game," Shenmue is now being brought to one of the largest mainstream markets in the world. China and Korea are huge into MMO games, and making a side game in the world of Shenmue will expose millions to the series. This will certainly increase awareness and hopefully interest. In turn, this could give Sega the incentive and funding they need to continue with Shenmue III. To get this game out on a current gen console, then follow up a year or two later with Shenmue III on XBox2 would not be a bad idea.

Overall I think this is a good thing for Shenmue. It means the series is alive and kicking. I'm sure Yu has plans to continue on, it just might be a little longer. We can't even say for sure that Shenmue Online will ever be released in the US/Europe. But at the very least we'll be sure to hear game reporters ask more and more Shenmue related questions--including questions concerning Shenmue III.

Originally posted by Quadriflax@Aug 3, 2004 @ 06:40 PM

China and Korea are huge into MMO games, and making a side game in the world of Shenmue will expose millions to the series. This will certainly increase awareness and hopefully interest. In turn, this could give Sega the incentive and funding they need to continue with Shenmue III.

That's the only benefit I see.

Heh...

Yeah, this may be what determines whether or not we see Shenmue III. Whether it be on the Xenon or not.

Although I think Suzuki should put the series on Dreamcast as well. Just for the hell of it. I mean, it was planned all along to be Dreamcast, the first two games are on DC, why not the final two? :) :cool: :D

I can only dream.... :blush: :unsure: :sigh

Why don't we put Cloud on the DC? I'm sure the 200mhz processor would be more than enough to create an adequate simulation.

Is it me, or is that picture on the official website showing some guy with a greenish energyball!?!?!? Looks like Ryo has an energyball too... oh great :(

/me still wants Shenmue 3 on Dreamcast ;)

Originally posted by it290@Aug 3, 2004 @ 07:49 PM

Why don't we put Cloud on the DC? I'm sure the 200mhz processor would be more than enough to create an adequate simulation.

A talking toaster with Mac, Gamecube, VF, etc stickers on it would provide adequete emulation of Cloud.

"Play me in VF!!"

*burnt toast pops up*

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Aug 3, 2004 @ 09:48 PM

A talking toaster with Mac, Gamecube, VF, etc stickers on it would provide adequete emulation of Cloud.

"Play me in VF!!"

*burnt toast pops up*

:lol:

Back