Shining Force NEO

Sooo, Sega announced the title and release date for the latest game in the series. Excellent! Oh wait, one tiny little problem, lemme just read over the article again...

ITS A FRICKIN ACTION RPG!!!!!

Anyone else see something wrong with this?

Why Sega, why? One of my favourite franchises ever and you had to bastardize it! Wh must every new game be updated and somehow mixed into the "action" genre. I want a freakin turn based strategy or RPG. People still play those you know!!! Or maybe just me and the people on this board do....I don't even now anymore.

Oh and in case any of you are interested... http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/10/news_6114831.html

Hmm, I read about this a while ago . It was compared to the lackluster Shining Soul games on the GBA. Meh, just ignore this title, reminisce about the good old days....

BTW, they did an insanely faithful remake of the original Shining Force on the GBA. It's worth checking out.

Yes, SF fans have been bitching about this for awhile now. I believe Sega still has another Shining title in the works, though, so don't lose all hope.

Also, 'insanely faithful remake'? I _definitely_ wouldn't go that far.

The game industry seems to be on an action-RPG binge. Oh, well. They'll get over it. And maybe, just maybe, Sega will do it well?

I mean, let's try to be hopeful here.

Look at all recent PS games, including the new one in dev. All have been action/RPG, with the exception of PSO Ep.3. given some time, people will get bored with action.

Originally posted by it290@Sat, 2004-12-11 @ 04:58 PM

Yes, SF fans have been bitching about this for awhile now. I believe Sega still has another Shining title in the works, though, so don't lose all hope.

Also, 'insanely faithful remake'? I _definitely_ wouldn't go that far.

[post=125734]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, I read a review from a hardcore fan of the series, and he was in love with it, apparently. He did hate the fact, though, that there was level 10 hero bug, where when you become a hero your level resets to one, meaning you're an uber powerful level one guy who levels up too quickly.....

Are there any traditional force style games in the works??

the Shining force for the ps2 i hear about may be.. but there seems to be some action aspects in that aswell..

I mean if we cant have a new one.. at least give us SF3 translated... I love sega but it seems they are still at the same game of pissing off the loyal fans by trying to stay in with the cool crowd.

and the SF1 remake did very little to please me. To much was changed.. IE the music and the overall quality of the character and enemy designs seems to have gone down hill.. I thought the GBA was supposed to be better than a SNES, you would think some stuff would have been better.. I was hoping to play through it for the extra characters but it just didnt hold my attention.

Some things are just meant to be turn based, damnit. I don't object to them making a Shining game that is an action RPG (even if it did end up sucking), but a Shining Force game? That's crap.

I agree other Shining games are ok.. although walking the fine line.. but to take the actual name "Shining Force" and make it a different product is a horrible idea..

Thats like going to wendys and ordering a cheese burger and getting some sort of ground beef casarol with cheese, tomatoe, scrambled eggs, sour creme, and sour kraut.. all between 2 buns.. sure some of the original things are in there.. but its certainly not what you would expect from a cheese burger, some people may like it.. but chances are old and new fans are going to be left with an unpleasant taste in the mouth..

If they arent going to make any new tradional force games... at least let the name have its dignity rather than flushing it down the tubes with most of the other shining nonsense out there.

if it isn't made by camelot software planning, it isn't a real shining force game. camelot quit the shining force series with shining force 3. everything after is just fake.

wish sega would realize that they can't make proper shining force games by themselves and just focus on rereleasing shining force 3.

Oh and another thing? Flying pirate ships are in the video. Does that shit remind anyone of a certain game? Not that THAT game wasn't good, in fact its probably one of the greatest RPG's ever, but why rip it off?

Oh and another thing, just to reiterate....why did they have to bastardize the series? It was my FAV! Does the industry think these stupid action games are cool? Why? So they can attract all the hip twenty-somethings to play games? What about the hardcore gamer!?!?!?!?!?!?

me too....although I say they release shining force 3 (straight conversion....up the video quality is all prob.). All episodes as well....we want them damnit! Maybe have it have some extra unlockables like char. art, 3d models, promotional crap, etc.

Would this be too damn much to ask for? Who says we get 1kppl to show up at SOJ pres. door and everyone ask for this one by one. Sounds good to me, I am in.....so far we have 1, lol. 999 to go!

Originally posted by Supergrom+Mon, 2004-12-13 @ 11:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supergrom @ Mon, 2004-12-13 @ 11:45 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>where is crazygoon with the incredibly long post outlining the details of the distinction between franchise and series? :D

[post=125851]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

Lol. I had a long day today, and now I'm quite nackard (spelling?), so I will just redirect the people - who are disappointed with the fact that this game has been dubbed as a "Force" game (and thus apart of the series, ya?), but is not in the same style/ genre as the previous "Force" games - to this thread. It covers the same sort of material ;)

<!--QuoteBegin-crystalmethod
@Sat, 2004-12-11 @ 10:40 PM

Oh and another thing? Flying pirate ships are in the video. Does that shit remind anyone of a certain game?

[post=125851]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

Yeah. Keio Flying Squadron :)

It's still stupid to label it a Force game. Let's say you make a new Street Fighter game, say Street Fighter 5 Turbo, but it's actually a shooter. I think SF fans would have every right to be irritated, to say the least.

Back