Should cable companies have to open their lines?

According to Internet News, the Supreme Court is set to take up the case on whether cable companies (Time Warner, Comcast, etc) should have to open up their lines to competitors (as standard telecom companies are required to do).

But the FCC's Michael Powell says: "High-speed Internet connections are not telephones" and thus should not be subject to such regulation. Some also note that if the company laid the lines, then why shouldn't it be solely theirs to use?

What's you're opinion: :agree or :bs ?

hmmmm, this is a tuffy. I would like to see everyone on fiberoptics though :p. Supposed to have ours here within about 2 years. Guess we'll see...

eh, it would make cable horrably slow if everyone and their dog had it and was sharing it...keep em closed

Some also note that if the company laid the lines, then why shouldn't it be solely theirs to use?

They absolutely should have exclusive control iff the network is built solely on private property which the cable company owns or has the owner's permission to lay cable through. As soon as they get a concession from the government to lay cable on public land and/or on private land without the owner's explicit permission, however, they should expect to have to make concessions in return.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Thu, 2005-03-24 @ 07:38 PM

They absolutely should have exclusive control iff the network is built solely on private property which the cable company owns or has the owner's permission to lay cable through. As soon as they get a concession from the government to lay cable on public land and/or on private land without the owner's explicit permission, however, they should expect to have to make concessions in return.
[post=132080]Quoted post[/post]​

Agreed. And more competition = lower rates and better service with more options (hopefully). I'm no fan of Time Warner and I'd love to have the realistic option of switching from them to someone else. And the DSL carrier in my area just isn't going to cut it.

Back