Should I Tear Up My Sega Visions Mags?

racketboy

Established Member
Since I'm trying to minimize my amount of physical "stuff", I've been scanning and throwing away a lot of my magazines. In order to get the best and quickest scans, I've been carefully disassembling the magazines into single pages.

So, the question is, should I do this to my Sega Visions. I only paid $.10 each for them at a used bookstore in my hometown, but they are pretty cool -- and I know Cloud will kill me if I destroy them. :)))

I'm planning on scanning them at 300dpi, clean up the scans, saving them as high-quality JPEGs, and then convert them to PDF files. After that I can share them with others (they will be large files though).

What do you think?

I'd scan them all, a .pdf file last a life time. Besides the whole 'book' thing is pretty played out, I haven't even touched a book in years.

lol -- It's just a little against my past nature. I'm a collector at heart. But when I think about it, they are probably just gonna sit around.

I do love digital media though

I'm pretty sure you can take Cloud out-- err, I mean, uh, what were we talking about? Oh yes. Well, since you're traveling so light, you could always do everyone a favor and "take one for the team". While it isn't good to be tearing them up, if you scan them in, many more people can enjoy issues that they no longer have or never had.

Cloud, if you're reading, and I do go through with this, I can send you the neatly torn pages and a DVD with the scans if you pay for packaging, disc, and shipping :)

the hard part is being able to scan a bunch of mags before I move.

well just to give you an idea of file sizes, I've scanned about 5 full issues of Maximum PC without the ads. It's a fairly skinny mag -- maybe less than Sega Visions -- and the JPEGs per issue were 230MBs. So we're talking probably 350MBs per issue with ads (which are cool in vintage gaming mags).

Might need to do some torrents.

Also, if it's not considered evil, I could burn the results to a DVD and send it to whoever (esp bandwidth-challended individuals) for like a $5 donation.

Ask Ice what he thinks, you can always downsize them a bit and use slightly more compression (I find the "optimize" checkbox in the JPEG filter helps a lot), and he could assemble the issues into PDFs and host them. I don't think it is unreasonable to cut the size down quite a bit without serious quality loss.

Alternatively you could use a newer compression format, but that would potentially cause viewing issues for people.

well I noticed Ice was reading this topic, but he never commented...

I could have like a 150dpi version for download that would reduce size a lot, but if one wanted to print a decent quality version from it, they would probably want a 300dpi.

NO! NOO! NOOO! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! racket! I'll do anything! ANYTHING!

Also, I don't have a Combo/SuperDrive! So that's even more reason not to do it! I can't read the DVD-Rs!!!!

RACKET! PLEASE! ANYTHING! I will do ANYTHING! I NEED THOSE SEGA VISIONS!

decent printers usually print more than that.

I thought 300dpi was kinda standard for decent printouts.

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jun 8, 2004 @ 11:44 PM

NO! NOO! NOOO! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! racket! I'll do anything! ANYTHING!

Also, I don't have a Combo/SuperDrive! So that's even more reason not to do it! I can't read the DVD-Rs!!!!

I can burn them on CD special for you, if you want Cloud

Why don't you just buy them off of eBay? I see issues on there fairly often.

I don't even have quite a full set yet.

Well maybe this can be a compromise, they are bound by staples, so if I'm careful, I might be able to separate them without too much damage. Then I can mail them to you and you can reassemble them, frame them, or whatever your little heart desires.

Originally posted by racketboy+Jun 8, 2004 @ 07:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Jun 8, 2004 @ 07:42 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cloud121@Jun 8, 2004 @ 11:44 PM

I can burn them on CD special for you, if you want Cloud

Why don't you just buy them off of eBay? I see issues on there fairly often.

I don't even have quite a full set yet.

Well maybe this can be a compromise, they are bound by staples, so if I'm careful, I might be able to separate them without too much damage. Then I can mail them to you and you can reassemble them, frame them, or whatever your little heart desires. [/b][/quote]

Ugh.. if that's the only possible way to go (referring to the stapling them back together bit....)

Can't you just stick the page into the scanner with it still binded to the magazine? Sure, part of the next page may show up, but at least they'll still be intact.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 8, 2004 @ 08:43 PM

I'll think about it.

I tried doing half and issue like that.  It was a pain

Try it like that.

And if it doesn't work like that, just send me 'em like you said you would. Provided they're taken apart carefully.

Also, you might wanna show me how/where exactly to staple.

Hm.. all this talk about Sega Visions makes me wanna go play some MegaDrive/Mega CD/32x

*Goes and grabs Nomad*

Hey racket, you said you were scanning, and throwing away your magazines. Do these include all your old GameFan's, and GamePro's? What magazines are you exactly throwing out?

Back