Should I Tear Up My Sega Visions Mags?

well look at it this way, if you rip em apart you can get better/easier scans for EVERYONE to enjoy, and they'll be preserved, which is the main goal I believe. Atleast this way everyone will have access to high quality scans of classic mags...if yer gunna do it might as well do it the right way (disassemble).

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 9, 2004 @ 01:39 AM

decent printers usually print more than that.

I thought 300dpi was kinda standard for decent printouts.

You'd be surprised though how big scans at that come out to be. Look at the resolution (in pixels) of a typical magazine-sized page when you scan at 300 dpi. Now, I don't know that I consider it purely overkill (as you do gain), but you can always scan something in at a bit lower than that and use a bit more compression for a net version. I mean, if you go too crazy you end up having magazine scan archives that are bigger than Saturn/SCD games. I know I'd rather archive games than just game magazines if space gets tight (which, for now, it is).

I need a couple of those new Hitachi 400GB drives. :D

Well I'll knock down the web version down, but I'm keeping a 300dpi copy for myself (or anyone that really wants one can contact me personally)

BTW, I won't be scanning the SV mags for a couple weeks since I'm still going through my Maximum PCs, Sound and Visions, and MacAddicts (hey -- it was free)

BTW, I should have all issues of MaxPC from July of last year to current issue scanned within a week or so for anyone that is interested.

Hey Racket, I am just reading this, and way I see it, those would probably sell for some decent cash on eBay. You could at least profit off of them, and have a virtual copy. Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 8, 2004 @ 02:08 PM

well just to give you an idea of file sizes, I've scanned about 5 full issues of Maximum PC without the ads. It's a fairly skinny mag -- maybe less than Sega Visions -- and the JPEGs per issue were 230MBs. So we're talking probably 350MBs per issue with ads (which are cool in vintage gaming mags).

Might need to do some torrents.

Also, if it's not considered evil, I could burn the results to a DVD and send it to whoever (esp bandwidth-challended individuals) for like a $5 donation.

Those are pretty big files. I've made .pdf out of 1000+ page comic/manga scans, and those were 250MB files.

If I was compiling those, I'd half-size all the JPEGS, to save disk-space. I believe Acrobat will shrink them anyway to get them to fit your screen.

Back