Shoulda been a video game!

"Flow My Tears the Police Man said" - By Philip K. Dick would make a good story for a game (cinematic RPG style - like Vagrant story or like Blade Runner(by westwood) ) with puzzles and instersting plot twists. your character would start out knowing nothing and gathering bits and peices and once you think you have things figured out the world turns upsidedown on you. there is plenty of action, stealth, romance, metaphysics, and philosophy in the story to span a few DVDs

- edit - not, not knowing, but not existing -- sorry

-- on that note many stories by that guy would be good sourses --

also "death dream" - i cant remeber who wrote it i lost the book a long time ago. this story would be more apropriate for a action game which would be played online with several other people - each charater serving a diferent job - a scout, fighters, engineer, and one with a higher level of spiritual energy for damaging the bad guy with - with cut scenes of things happening in the "wakened" world which are linked to these characters dreams.

there are too many books i think would make good games so ill end my 2 cents to this thread here

this thread is a great topic

forgot to mention -- the only type of game i could see to come out of enders game would be a comand and conquer style game which would start out in the style of starship troopers (for pc) but with no gravity and endup as a command and conquer space game -- with not many cut sceens - if there were, wouldn't most of them be of making friends and bitching

Originally posted by googlefest1@Aug. 22 2002, 10:08 pm

"Flow My Tears the Police Man said" - By Philip K. Dick would make a good story for a game (cinematic RPG style - like Vagrant story or like Blade Runner(by westwood) ) with puzzles and instersting plot twists. your character would start out knowing nothing and gathering bits and peices and once you think you have things figured out the world turns upsidedown on you. there is plenty of action, stealth, romance, metaphysics, and philosophy in the story to span a few DVDs

-- on that note many stories by that guy would be good sourses --

also "death dream" - i cant remeber who wrote it i lost the book a long time ago. this story would be more apropriate for a action game which would be played online with several other people - each charater serving a diferent job - a scout, fighters, engineer, and one with a higher level of spiritual energy for damaging the bad guy with - with cut scenes of things happening in the "wakened" world which are linked to these characters dreams.

there are too many books i think would make good games so ill end my 2 cents to this thread here

Dident PHILIP K DICK write DO ADROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP?

I think i read somewhere that Ridley scott got his insperation for bladerunner from that book.

yea, same guy lupas

i liked the movie better (but i saw the movie before i read the book) -- but ingeneral most people like the movie better - i think they are in the same boat

the book is diferent -- i just look at them as not related (kind of)

it is a real good read - dont get me wrong

Originally posted by googlefest1@Aug. 22 2002, 10:41 pm

yea, same guy lupas

i liked the movie better (but i saw the movie before i read the book) -- but ingeneral most people like the movie better - i think they are in the same boat

the book is diferent -- i just look at them as not related (kind of)

it is a real good read - dont get me wrong

Yea bladerunner is a classic movie.

Never read the book though.but will get round to buying it and reading it...one day lol

So much to do so little time.......

kinda off the topic here but,i have bladerunner on dvd,but the voice over is missing.i kinda liked harrison ford narrating it.

I do know the original dident have a voice over,but when ridley scott(i hope ive got the right director here)showed it to the investors or whatever,they dident understand the plot of the film,and said that americans wouldent get it,and told him to put a voice over in,telling people what going on.

I think thats a load of bull on behalf of the investors(or whoever it was),they was kinda making out the film was too deep for americans to understand.without a narrator.it was probebly the fact that they dident understand it,and needed a narrator.

And i will shut up now,i'm starting to ramble on......
smile.gif

I think "Brave New World" could make for an interesting game. Your character takes some soma, bangs a few chicks in an orgy, and takes some soma again.

"All Quiet on the Western Front" could be interesting. Another FPS, except it's WWI, and you're a German.

How about a survival simm a la Robinson Crusoe, but set in modern times as in Cast Away. There could be basic items that you need hidden on the island, such as you could find a knife or the materials to make one. There could be a survival tutorial built in, a manual of sorts. You earn points for accomplishing tasks such as building a shelter, making traps for food animals, making needed tools, catching fish or scavaging for food and the manual could tell you if the item is a food item, poisonous, construction material ect. There could be "hostiles" you need to hide from and or overcome. Animals that attack, snakes that bite ect. Disease and injury to avoid or survive and a host of other challenges that eventually add up to the points you need for the game ending, your rescue. It could be adapted to tropical, desert, arctic, mountain forest and Africa/sub tropical themes, maybe all build into the same game. Sounds pretty complicated but no more than many other simms. What do you think?

i wouldnt buy that game

not trying to knock your idea, if you like it, you like it - but for a game like that, i would think it would get boring after a while becasue its the same thing over and over (unless its a short game)

and tomany things would be automatic --like the shelter building - for a game of today you'd probably find the pieces and it will be automaticaly put together -- now if you could actualy design it your self and see how it tests up against the simulated weather in the game , that would be cool

im not a big fan of fighting wild animals or primitive tribes people - thats why i wouldn't buy it -- i dont like those dinosaur games either -- but many people do- so mabey its a good idea. but certainly as a educational game for survival tactics - thats certainly cool - but it would be old news to me ive read too many manuals for the game to be fun for me

how about a snatcher style game of William Gibson's "Neuromancer"? including the dark detail's of Case's rather large drug habit and the cannabis filled interior of the "Marcus Garvey"... aimed at the older market

Some William Gibson based games would be cool because they evoke images of a different, future world.

How would you go basing games on pre-published material though? If you know the work well enough, where's the gameplay? I guess I'm thinking RPGs...

What about Shrub, by Molly Ivins? Gameplay à la Shunmue's FREE system (thingumabobber). Follow the village idiot on his quest to become President!

Or maybe, based on one of the countless computer programming books, a new tetris style game. Only with ASCII characters instead of oddly shaped blocks. The lines will only disappear when the characters have fallen into proper syntactical order!

OK, so I don't read that many novels - sue me.

There already was a pc game, i haven't played it though. Timeline was a pretty good book, I wish they had made that into some kind of movie. It was better than Congo IMO.

Back