Skies of Arcadia vs. Grandia 2 -- which is better?

Originally posted by Rorscach@Jun 29, 2003 @ 09:25 AM

Both are a thing of Beauty. Not Da Vinci beauty mind you, so I'm using the term loosely.

Grandia 2 has something going for it which most RPG's neglect nowadays: Charm. It was charming. From beginning to end. Point A to B. The characters have relationships with one another; an addition sorely lacking in FFX (think Auron & Tidus, people). It has a serious story? Please, it's mostly lighthearted. I agree, i'ts not without it's flaws, especially in the way the church is presented (as previously mentioned). But it is still an RPG. From what we have seen of RPG's, the stories have never been brilliant. Xenogears was my personal fave, but there are huge presentation issues, not to mention Takahashi's addition of naivete. Planescape? Presentation and characterisation; again. Whilst it has a great existential quest, it sorely lacked visual impact and failed upon that niggling little point: character relationships. A tie in? See beginning of paragraph. But realy, Grandia 2's just great fun. FUN. Man, those were the days. When games were FUN...

Skies, whilst generally more polished, had a simpler battle system and a slightly weaker soundtrack; though both of these are wonderful in their own right. I still love those boss battles where the main theme cycles through arbitrarily...good times. But the story and charachters are, well...bigger. It's grander in every sense. Kind of ironic, if you notice the incredibly bad pun.
wink.gif

But regardless of what this schmuck feels, they're both brilliant games. Personally, my RPG whore is still Xenogears, but these two rank amongst my all time faves.

XENOGEARS?!!?!! UGH!!! How many naps did you take during the 20 minutes plus story sequences? It's a good game but SO SLOOOOOOW!

soal for GC has a new storyline which explains why ramirez turned bad, along with an "arch enemy" and additional boss battles.

14.99 for SoA on dc is definately worth it.. get it at that price.

It's a good game

That's right
tongue.gif

But the 20+ minute story sequences? What do you think I played for? The game's all about story. Yeah I get it - Irony. But it's easily the best RPG story. Great antagonists, great protagonists, and great inbetweens. It's what I love about RPG's.

Yup, Xenogears has really mind-numbingly extensive story scenes - you don't play the game as much as the game plays through hours of cinematic sequences - but it has one great fucking story, and possibly the most extensive and expansive plot of any game I've yet played. That's its focus... if you don't like it, more power to you.

That game, more than any other, deserves a novelisation...

Hey, Who has played the SoA mini VMU game. My friend spent almost more time playing that than he did the game. But i need to know if its worth spending the money on 2 new batteries to play the mini game. Thanks y'all!

Back