SMS games on Genesis

Do you think it would be possible to play SMS roms on a Genesis via an emulator or flashcart?

If the convertor is just a reconfiguration of the pin layout, what would be necessary to play the roms?

Basically you just have to ground pin B30 to go into SMS mode. The real problem is that most SMS games use a mapper; the smaller ones might work on e.g. a Tototek flash cart if you can line up the bytes right and find a good way to ground B30.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Jul 15, 2003 @ 06:06 AM

Basically you just have to ground pin B30 to go into SMS mode. The real problem is that most SMS games use a mapper; the smaller ones might work on e.g. a Tototek flash cart if you can line up the bytes right and find a good way to ground B30.

Cyb, I think you are talking about ripping a cart. I just want to play the existing rom on my Desktop on Gen hardware via a flash cart... Would I need to alter the SMS rom somehow?

he's not talking about ripping a cart.

without the mapper chip, no game bigger than 32 kb will work. there's a lot of different mappers, so you can't just universally use one either.

Actually, IIRC all the Sega mappers are compatible (i.e. they're all subsets of the largest one). There are still a few oddballs, but from what I've heard something like 98% of SMS games are playable with a single mapper.

Actually the Super Magic Drive does allow playing SMS games... it's just not very compatible, less than half of the games I tried work, unfortunately none of the really good ones (no Sonic or PhantasyStar :( ).

-- NorQue

Back