Some more random questions and thoughts

Here are a few random questions and observations:

1. I've finally determined many of the reviews on GameFaqs for recent systems are completely fake. I believe the site has been infiltrated by commercial marketing departments to sneak in bogus gushing reviews for garbage. Do you agree?

2. Do the controllers for the Gamebube and xbox have built in vibration? Also, where are the memory cards placed?

3. Can someone explain DSL? It is only about 5 dollars more than regular dial-up now. Is it really faster? Is it worth the extra price? Do I need a special modem or any changes to my phone line?

4. Americans, I have 30 cents composed of only 2 coins, but one of them is not a nickle. What are the two coins?

5. I saw an article titled "Why the Gamecube Failed and what nintendo plans to do for their next effort". Is the Gamecube losing? Did Nintendo change focus to the portable market?

1. You might be right, but I don't really look at most of the recent reviews so I couldn't say. A lot of companies are adopting these guerilla marketing tactics lately though.

2. Dunno about X-box, but GC controllers have built in vibration, and the memory card goes on the front of the console.

3. Yes, it's much faster. It depends on the telco how much faster though. For instance I have Qwest DSL here in Denver and while their basic service used to be about 700k now it's only 256k. Still faster than dialup though. You will need a modem, but often the phone company provides that. If you want to use the line with Mac OS or Linux and/or plug in multiple computers through a router, you likely need a more expensive one- I currently have a Cisco 678 that cost a bit. Also, they will need to activate DSL for your phone line, but that's not a big deal at all.

4. A quarter and a nickel. The quarter is not a nickel.

5. GC is doing about as well as X-Box afaik. They've been selling more since the price drop as well.

Originally posted by jeff-20@Nov 1, 2003 @ 01:47 PM

1. I've finally determined many of the reviews on GameFaqs for recent systems are completely fake. I believe the site has been infiltrated by commercial marketing departments to sneak in bogus gushing reviews for garbage. Do you agree?

2. Do the controllers for the Gamebube and xbox have built in vibration? Also, where are the memory cards placed?

3. Can someone explain DSL? It is only about 5 dollars more than regular dial-up now. Is it really faster? Is it worth the extra price? Do I need a special modem or any changes to my phone line?

4. Americans, I have 30 cents composed of only 2 coins, but one of them is not a nickle. What are the two coins?

5. I saw an article titled "Why the Gamecube Failed and what nintendo plans to do for their next effort". Is the Gamecube losing? Did Nintendo change focus to the portable market?

1. Maybe.. but I have read some nice hardware faqs for many systems which aren't fake. As for reviews for games - dunno, haven't read them :p

3. DSL can be 2X faster, 4X, 6X(?) faster than 56k. If you look to get it and are a serious downloader, don't forget to understand/ read about any capping system, or restrictions they (ISP) have. Try to look for one which doesn't have any restrictions.

Originally posted by jeff-20@Nov 1, 2003 @ 02:47 PM

3. The speed of a DSL connection is dependent on the ISP itself and what it offers. Same goes for Cable. Although cable connections are sometimes cheaper and faster. (again, depends on the ISP)

5. NO. Vast PS2-Wing/Xbox-wing Co-conspiracy. NO.

with that DSL price, make sure it's just not an introductory price.

Just like cable, they will offer you a nice price for a certain time and then jack up the price once you're hooked

1. Yes, they even had an article on bogus advertising in chatrooms and whatnot on the internet on tv recently. Funnyest thing I ever saw was on the ign boards there was a Ngage fanboy...seriously. He defended every aspect of the Ngage and kept trying to promote how great it was. If you think about it though, its free advertising that takes little time, and many products do sell by 'word of mouth' so posing as a normal consumer who loved 'product a' could persuade someone to believe that it actually is decent.

2.Both standard controllers for Xbox and GC have built in vibration, though Nintendo's wireless controller (wavebird) does not in order to save battery.

3.If you use the internet on a somewhat regular basis, DSL is very worth it. With 56k I had 5kb/s dl and 3kb/s upload, max. Now with DSL my max dl is ~200kb/s and my max UL is ~150kb/s, though if I'm doing both at the same time its ~250kb/s together. You can not use a phone line and there most likely will be an instalation fee. And do not believe them if they say your speeds are completely seperate of everyone else's (ie.you don't share bandwidth with your neighborhood) because its not true. My speeds during the day are still great but I normally start my donwloads at night when it is much faster.

4.Read this on a box of smarties awhile back :p 25&5, the 25 is not a 5.

5.The gamecube is not failing... it is at the same worldwide level saleswise as the Xbox. It owns the Xbox in Japan and the Xbox beats it here though. Nintedo did not change focus to the portable market, even though thats where the major bucks come in for them at the moment. They did make a few mistakes on this console, just like sony and M$, and they will incorporate what they learned in their next incarnation.

here's a question for you: wheres your avatar from? that pic rocks...lol

---Ammut

Back