Sonic and the Secret of the Rings for the 30/03/2007

I just picked up the game, and I have to say, it's incredibly fun.

The graphics are very sharp. They're beautifully vibrant, and there isn't a hint of slowdown. Granted, I don't have Sonic's abilities maxed yet, so that might be premature. More on that in a moment.

The control scheme is like this: you tilt the remote left and right for him to move. Button 2 allows him to jump, and depending on how hard you press it, he jumps higher. Jump and quickly push the remote forward, and he does a dash. Enemies are sort of auto targeted - once you're close and the target turns red, you can dash them into oblivion. In some cases, you have to link these dashes into a chain to get across chasms.

The controls are kind of clunky and a little unresponsive (comparied to DBZ Budokai and Trauma Center), but there's a tutorial and it's pretty easy to get used to.

There is an RPG element where you earn skill points based on how well you did on the level (clear time, number of coins, etc.) You get to 'buy' upgraded skills (faster dash, faster run, higher defense) and apply them to levels you already played.

It's basically Sonic on rails - highly important, because all you worry about then is just maintaining your speed. Did I mention the game moves quickly? It's amazing compared to Sonic 3D and the freefall from there - this game does feel a lot like Sonic 3 for the genesis. It's just sonic - other characters show up in the game, but as part of the storyline, and aren't playable.

There is a story line and there is voice acting. Remember Sonic the cartoon? It's exactly like that - all the sonic mannerisms and campy humor is there. Ah, nostalgia.

There is a party mode where you can get up to four people to play a variety of mini games. I played with the wife, and they're fairly fun and easy to pick up - I don't think it's on the level of Smooth Moves but it's still quite fun.

I really, honestly think Sega went in the right direction with this iteration of Sonic. Pretend everything after Sonic 3D didn't happen, and it went from Sonic CD straight to this.

By the way, it's all wii-mote, no nunchuck.

I was hoping someone would voice their opinion on this game here. Really great news!

My wife bought us a Wii a couple weeks ago, I can't wait to pick this one up. Currently we're limiting to Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Smooth Moves.

Back