SP2 woes....

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
SO who here has upgraded? I did and I find the updated security shit to be mostly trash. Here is why:

1. Everytime I load up windows, it bitches I have windows update off. JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP! I DON'T WANT IT ON!

2. loadup time.....Windows loads a lil slower now, teh gay. It'll load up, but then it takes awhile before it'll let my firewall and shit kick in.

3. Again, about the firewall. It defaults itself to on! So now when I load my comp. it bitches about proggies I have set to load when windows starts and my other firewall hasn't completely loaded yet (Zone Alarm).

Now all I want is for me to be able to do what I want. I want it to stop runnin windows firewall ALLTOGETHER! I want to be able to disable it and never have it turn on or ask to be turned on. Also, I would like for it to shut the hell up about Automatic updates everytime I start my PC. If I wanted yer ass on, it would be on.

Now I can understand this "turn on for the best interest of stupid windows users" BS for XP Home, but please keep it on that. Most of us who seek out professional know atleast a LITTLE bit of what we are doing.

Lets here yer thoughts guys....

Give it up mal - XP is the future. Join us. :devil

On a vaguely on-topic note, I can't say I've had any problems with SP2 on my laptop. Sure the firewall is on by default, but you can turn that off through the control panel (there are new icons) if nothing else. Boot time could be slower I guess, but I haven't had my stopwatch out to time it. I rarely reboot anyway - it's a laptop so I just hibernate. :)

No real problems. I do agree with you though. Don't bitch at me for having windows update disabled. I refuse to run it. I won't to choose what updates I install.

Originally posted by Curtis@Aug 27, 2004 @ 10:23 PM

Give it up mal - XP is the future. Join us. :devil

Yeah, but that would mean paying for it.

Working at a University I can use their OS licence but they haven't quite got to XP yet. ;)

Schi, I figured out how to get rid of the bugging, if you look to the left it says "change the way windows security notifies you" or sumthin liek that. Uncheck all of em and it shuts up.

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz+Aug 27, 2004 @ 06:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pearl Jammzz @ Aug 27, 2004 @ 06:25 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> SO who here has upgraded? I did and I find the updated security shit to be mostly trash. Here is why:

1. Everytime I load up windows, it bitches I have windows update off. JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP! I DON'T WANT IT ON!

2. loadup time.....Windows loads a lil slower now, teh gay. It'll load up, but then it takes awhile before it'll let my firewall and shit kick in.

3. Again, about the firewall. It defaults itself to on! So now when I load my comp. it bitches about proggies I have set to load when windows starts and my other firewall hasn't completely loaded yet (Zone Alarm).

Now all I want is for me to be able to do what I want. I want it to stop runnin windows firewall ALLTOGETHER! I want to be able to disable it and never have it turn on or ask to be turned on. Also, I would like for it to shut the hell up about Automatic updates everytime I start my PC. If I wanted yer ass on, it would be on.

Now I can understand this "turn on for the best interest of stupid windows users" BS for XP Home, but please keep it on that. Most of us who seek out professional know atleast a LITTLE bit of what we are doing.

Lets here yer thoughts guys.... [/b]

1. i dont have that problem.

2. defrag. it may not seem ecessary but you just installed a 90+ meg "patch" to your OS.

3. you can turn the windows firewall off just like you could before SP2.

<!--QuoteBegin-Pearl Jammzz
@Aug 27, 2004 @ 02:38 PM

Schi, I figured out how to get rid of the bugging, if you look to the left it says "change the way windows security notifies you" or sumthin liek that. Uncheck all of em and it shuts up. [/quote]

hehe, usually helps to read before you bitch about something you could have avoided :cheers

Pearl Jammzz. Thanks for the pointer. Saved me the hassle of digigng to find it. I had only just installed it and hadn't had a chance to dig for it.

Dyne, what are you talking about? Read what? The Windows help files...MS craptacular site? No offense, but no one here had posted how to turn that off. So I have no clue where I should have read that. And I had only just installed it late last night. I hadn't had a chance to check any of the stuff out.

"if you look to the left it says "change the way windows security notifies you" or sumthin liek that."

he obviously READ it somewhere, mebbe on his monitor? its clearly there unless you're not looking.

Only issue I ran into with it is that IE now doesn't load XBM format images...which pisses me off since VGR uses them for the barcode images. Need to find a solutions for that soon.

It breaks some programs too. I don't know if they're planning to work on that, or just leave it up to the other companies to patch around it.

haha, ya. I didn't look very hard but it was real small print on my screen, so I didn't bother reading much of it. I figured it would be just in that little box but they have it in another area.

I will try a defrag, did it before but after might help.

it completely messed MSM for me. since MS cant just update their messenger to 6.2, you have to download the full app again. well the exe doesnt simply overwrite the old app the way AIM does. it completely installs it again. i had the old MSM disabled so i could use 6.2. after putting in SP2 i turned on MSM and it asked to install it.......okay its already installed. so i clicked "yes". then everytime i wanted to use it it would say it was already running and i was already signed in. so i finally realized that somehow it had turned on the old version, and had it runnning in the background without a tray icon. regardless i got rid of both. why cant they just update like AIM does.

I've just joined the XP guys with my new comp. Have no problems with SP2 so far. No idea how performance compares to what it was like before the update as it was the first thing I installed(after anti-virus and firewall). I'm just pleased to have an up date system for the first time in 4 years.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Aug 29, 2004 @ 04:44 AM

I got that title BEFORE I posted that.

No, really? :rolleyes: I mentioned it because it was the first time I noticed it, and because I saw "I use Mac" right next to "IE for life!!"

Back