Space shuttle down

they said that there was a crack in the tiles on the bottom of the shuttle before it began descent, and then they thought there wouldn't be a problem but i suppose that the crack might of opened and well aluminum wouldn't of lasted long.

makes me think back to the one almost 20 years ago.

I remember that one from when I was a kid.
sad.gif

One has to repect the astronauts their courage and determination. They died doing what they love, and not very many people get to do that. Before watching the news conference, i thought of the space program as merely that, just a program. Now I've begun to understand how it is a passion to some, how it's a way of life. I express my sorrow the families of the astronauts and to also the the space "community" that is NASA.

Originally posted by Nadius@Feb. 01 2003, 4:29 pm

One has to repect the astronauts their courage and determination. They died doing what they love, and not very many people get to do that. Before watching the news conference, i thought of the space program as merely that, just a program. Now I've begun to understand how it is a passion to some, how it's a way of life. I express my sorrow the families of the astronauts and to also the the space "community" that is NASA.

a very good point you have there

thanks for sharing

I got to wake up to the news this morning, such a sad event. This sure has shown me just how closely knit Nasa is and how we simply take advantage of going into space... whens the last time anyone watched a shuttle launch?

I totally respect astronauts for what they do and hope the best for all of them, no matter what age/race/nationality/whatever. I hope this event will lead to further safety and benefit the space community, not slow it down in the least.After all, thats what the astronauts would have wanted, right?

I think its really sad in the regard that, due to such a safety record, the astronauts most likely didn't even think for a minute that they would be in any danger and could not say bye to their families/friends, it came without warning and must have been horrible. Also, the fact that the first isreali astronaut was aboard deeply saddens another part of the world aswell.

Godspeed to all those who have perished in the pursuit of the stars.

---Ammut

I really can't say I have anything to add to what's been said here, other than I share all your sentiments and have the victims of this tragedy in my heart. It's frightening, though, how many similarities there are to Challenger in 1986, last but not least the fact that seven astronauts perished, two of them were first-time spacefarers, etc... Very chilling.

The only thing I can add is the perspective of someone who has been alive long enough to remember every occasion when these brave souls, space explores, lost in their struggle against the harsh environment they dreamed of exploring. This is true of those who visit the deep, as well. Nothing about us indicates that we were 'made' to exist in these strange places. We need air to breath and a warmer, more inviting climate than the vacuum of space. We have to take our environment with us, in order to survive. And one of the things that make us humans special, as beings of the known universe, is our desire,or better yet, our need to know and explore that which we do not know. We want to 'know' for the sake of knowing, in most cases. Otherwise we would sit comfortable in our easy chairs and be spectators to the wonders around us and nothing more. Enjoying the bliss that is ignorance. I believe that is one of the reasons we mourn so deeply those who are brave enough to do our exploring for us, as we all can't directly participate in these great adventures.

As stated above, so well, we deeply mourn this loss and our thoughts and hearts go out to the families of these modern day hero's.

Back