Success!

Yes ppls, I just put in my brand spanker of a Blue LED... now it matches my blue swirl on top of my DC, and plus it looks VERY cool...

I put in a 3.5v LED, and hasnt blown up on me (yet), so if u have even a little electronics knowledge... DO IT!!!

Hehe, my DC is now l33t ;)

how did you do it....or do you have a link for any sites? i always wanted a different colored LED for my SEGA blue custom shell i painted :)

you can usually just replace the original LED with a clear blue 5 mm 3.8 V one. just make sure it's a clear one, and has at least 2000 mcd.

wtf is mcd?

i think it had one of 1800 or something...

btw there was a whole site dedicated to this (http://hardwaremod.dcemulation.com), but the flash buttons dont work :( - i just had to track down the voltage along the LED, and found the most appropriate one... i think its 3.3v, tho the closest i could find was 3.5

wouldnt 3.8v be too high/get too hot?

its DEAD easy tho, NO ONE should need instructions ;)

mcd usually stands for milli-candles (me-thinks?) ???

Oh, and you can buy this type of Blue LED from Maplin in the U.K.
cool.gif

I did that too like 3 days after I got my DC, and I put one in my Saturn too
smile.gif
Looks really cool. I got them from Radio Shack, just got the brightest blue ones they had and they worked. Now all I need is a transparent shell for the DC and a Derby Stallion Saturn
sad.gif

Originally posted by paulpsomiadis@May 09 2002,23:41

mcd usually stands for milli-candles (me-thinks?) ???

Oh, and you can buy this type of Blue LED from Maplin in the U.K.
cool.gif

mCd stands for milli-candalas not candles although the meaning is the same - milli(as in fraction of) candle power.

There are 1000 mCd's to the candala, so a 10000mCd LED is roughly equivelent in brightness to 10 candles.

Popping LED's in amachine is a snap. Just check the anode and cathode of the one already in the machine, desolder it, and solder in the new one. My Dreamcast has been sporting a blue light and clear shell since 2000
smile.gif
My saturn ont he other hand unfortunatly had the pad come out with the LED so I had to scrap some green off the board and solder over a little 33 gauge wire to complete the connection. But now it has that pretty blue glow too
smile.gif

Shaneus: If you were putting a 3.8V LED in a socket only providing 3.3V, then it just wouldn't glow at it's optimum brightness. You could always tack on a CR20XX battery and a resistor to drop it down and give some extra juice needed. But dropping juice like that would heat it up. Just try to pick a close LED. Blue's are 3.5 and Red/Green is 3.2/3.3.

Back