Successfully modded my new saturn today..

First of all, a big thanks to everyone who contributes to this site, without the guides and such I wouldn't have had the foggiest where to start.

My new Saturn arrived this morning, a Pal MK80200A-50 made in Indonesia. Luckily it turned out to be a 32 pin, so I installed the mod chip, swapped it around after i realised it didn't follow as expected and needed turning around. all working and woohoo, away we go. I then put a switch on the jumper12/13 to give me US. Uk select. I thought this would make it full-screen, but it didn't. So I performed 60hz/50hz mod to and woohoo again, all working fine with my cartridge slot free for my soon to arrive memory card.

Initial thoughts, Its a bit blockier than i remember, spoiled these days with a radeon 9800 pro lol. But you can't beat the feel of a console, and sega games have their own uniqueness, Just going to disappear to play Panzer Dragoon Zwei, I wonder if I still can achieve the rating Winged Death again after all these years.

A minor point , anyone know a brand of CDR that works really well in saturns, the Tdk's I have seem to be right on the limit, I had to adjust the adjuster on the laser unit just to get them to boot. They are running ok now, but occasionally stutter slightly.

Yeah, I always try and grab fujifilm CDRs when they go on sale. I've never once had an issue with them, ever, for any purpose. I burn them at high speeds and my Sega CD and Saturn run them perfectly. Though, your burner plays a big role in that too.

unfortunately Fuji CDs haven't been on sale much at all lately.

Or most CDs for that matter.

Things are moving onto DVDs.

If you do want some decent ones that do go on sale on occassion, TDKs are usually fine. Memorex aren't bad either. Try to stay away from Imation.

Also I try to burn 8X unless I'm in a hurry -- then I only do 16X.

I've never had a problem with any types of CD-Rs on my Saturn, nowadays I only use Memorex Black CDs though, but just because they look good. :)

I have always used TDKs and have never had a problem with them, but the fastest I burn is 4x speed. How fast did you burn yours?

Lately I've been using Sony CD-Rs, I burn at 48X with my Lite-On burner, the Saturn runs the games like a champ.

I have had tons of longevity (sp¿) issues w/ memorex.

I've never heard the word longevity, and I don't know the meaning of the word either (English isn't my first language.); but that post made me interested in what it means though.

I go with 4x the speed, just because I read somewhere (here pherhaps?) that it was the safest way making them work (or something :blink:), I've tried burning in 24x without any problems though, same Black Memorex.

basically it means standing the test of time, how long they last. Usuaully within a year or 2 the tops start to flake off and thus render the cd useless.

Well i seem to have solved my tdk problems, I initially turned the adjuster clockwise thinking it increased the laser power but there was little adjustment due to a stop on the dial. I adjusted it anti-clockwise instead and its perfect, boots a disc in no time at all, far faster than before.

Back