Swap trick problems

I finally got around to trying the swap trick for my HK Silvers but no matter what game I use for the original I keep getting Disc is not suitable for this system. Can anyone help me?

I'm pretty sure the games have to be the same region as your machine... it sounds like they are not.

Make an iso of the game, patch the region with SatConv and re-burn.

which swap method are you using?

I'd recommend using the "extended swap" if you aren't already, where you boot with the cd-r in the drive so it can pull the TOC from the audio tracks, wait the drive to stop spinning, then hit the reset button after swapping in the original.

also, which game sre you using as an original? i could never get the swap to work with an original NiGHTS disc, but D disc 1 worked fine.

do you have a model 1 Saturn??

you really should get a chip if you have the easy to mod 32 pin kind.

my chip worked perfectly on the first try :D

Does it matter which swap method you use? Does it make a difference for some games? Does one swap method give you more troubles as the other one? I have a couple of backups, and some of them won't boot (their all region patched). I always use the double swap method (first backup, then original, then backup again) on my model 1 saturn. Panzer Dragoon Saga for example works fine, but Magic Knight Rayearth simple won't boot no matter what I try, and they are all burned on the same media (philips discs) with cdrwin.

Double swap is the way to go. Single swap gives you an incorrect TOC, which works much of the time but can lead to various ugly things. When one particular game crashes, it's most likely a bad burn or bad image.

Originally posted by mayden@Sun, 2005-02-06 @ 07:59 PM

I have a couple of backups, and some of them won't boot (their all region patched). I always use the double swap method (first backup, then original, then backup again) on my model 1 saturn. .

[post=129191]Quoted post[/post]​

Sometimes, simply patching the region code isn't enough to get the game properly running. In this case, you're gonna need to use an Action Replay cart to bypass the country code.

It looks like some games have additional regional protection that goes past the header part. Others appear to work just fine after a simple country code patch.

For example, Radiant Silvergun plays fine with no cart, but Pocket Fighter and Magical Drop 3, give me a "Game Disc Unsuitable for this System".

The console is recognizing the disc as a valid Saturn game, but won't play due to region encoding.

an import cart should solve your problems

Originally posted by logicbomb.de@Mon, 2005-02-07 @ 05:56 PM

For example, Radiant Silvergun plays fine with no cart, but Pocket Fighter and Magical Drop 3, give me a "Game Disc Unsuitable for this System".

The console is recognizing the disc as a valid Saturn game, but won't play due to region encoding.

[post=129230]Quoted post[/post]​

that's funny, radiant silvergun doesn't work either with swapping...mmmm...

if patching isn't enough for bypassing the region code, than there could be a possibility that there is another place on the disc with a specific region code... why would they do that?

Originally posted by mattyph@Sat, 2005-02-05 @ 09:13 AM

I finally got around to trying the swap trick for my HK Silvers but no matter what game I use for the original I keep getting Disc is not suitable for this system. Can anyone help me?

[post=129094]Quoted post[/post]​

The saturn does 2 checks to see if disc is right for the saturn

Region Check

Outer Ring check.

It sounds like your games arent the same region as your saturn, need to patch them or get an action replay 4 in 1.

Originally posted by logicbomb.de@Mon, 2005-02-07 @ 11:56 AM

[post=129230]Quoted post[/post]​

oops! my bad!

it loks like the source that i was getting a bunch of my saturn ISOs from were basically all US/Can pre-patched.

also even though some games didn't work even after changing the region code could be due to the patcher application itself.

I used Satconv, I've heard (and experienced) that not all games work after being patched to the appropriate region w/ Satconv.

Originally posted by logicbomb.de@Sat, 2005-02-19 @ 06:30 AM

I used Satconv, I've heard (and experienced) that not all games work after being patched to the appropriate region w/ Satconv.

[post=130003]Quoted post[/post]​

Such as?

I can't think of any off the top of my head that won't work. :huh

bit OT but over to Assembler forum someone posted about Magic Cart v2, This basically stops the drive motor so anyone can do the swapping... the catch is it's very hard to locate one... :(

cheers

I think that may be caused by patching raw image files, as ecc/edc codes aren't changed accordingly, and then burners "correct" the country code back to its original state. I noticed this with a burner I had.

As for the swap trick, try using the method logicbomb.de described, power on the saturn with the cdr in it, let it stop (in cdplayer), switch for an original, press RESET, then swap for the cdr after the outer ring check.

Back