Tectoy Saturn

Yes, you'd need a transcoder. I'm not sure about the avaliability of PAL-M to NTSC transcoders in the USA, but here they are pretty cheap, since the transcode proccess is rather simple.

I even think the Saturn itself can easily be transcoded back into NTSC.

would a pal to ntsc mod not also do the job? I've never really looked at how the pal/ntsc mod works cause I've never had a pal tv or a desire to make my saturn useless to me lol.

It is PAL-M. NTSC with PAL color encoding, as I understand it.

Anyway, I've also heard you can modify the saturn itself, but nobody has said how. That'd sure make a Tectoy saturn would be a lot more attractive a purchase. It's either that or a transcoder, which I know for sure would work. But PAL-M to NTSC transcoders might not be too easy to get your hands on around here.

I do need to eventually get a SMS though - and US SMS systems aren't all that common anymore. Could the SMS be modified in a similar manner? Eh, I guess an external transcoder would be a lot easier anyway...

Well, you should also try ordering a transcoder from Brazil. I googled and found a few models that can do PALM to NTSC, and with prices ranging from $50 to $90.

I searched for transcoders in US/UK, but they turned to be a lot more expensive.

Well to change the output to 60hz on a PAL saturn isnt hard at all. The 60hz will be NTSC too i suppose because PAL-60 wasnt too popular around that time. I dont see why it would be hard to do it to a brazilian saturn with some looking around.

cezario thanks for the offer but only having a few posts between us and having some bad experiences before i'll give it a miss thanks.

You sure about that? If the console was capable of it why was there never an option on sega saturn games to use pal60? I dont ever remember having the choice. Maybe it just does it automatically but i've never noticed it.

I am sure because I have a Saturn with a video mode switch. There were never any games with a PAL60 option because the mode isn't selectable through software.

Sega Saturn's video output can't be set by software, the console always output the same type of signal, example: a PAL (50hz) saturn will always output PAL at 50hz, no matter what game is in it.. then, when playing NTSC (60hz) games on PAL saturns you notice that blackborders and the slowdown..

When you mod your PAL saturn hardware to output at 60hz the console will output PAL60, once again, no matter what game is in it...

The 50/60hz mod only changes the refresh rate, not the color encoding from PAL<->NTSC.

The reverse also applies... a NTSC60hz saturn, modded to 50hz, will output NTSC at 50hz, and not PAL50..

you know what's fun? 50/60hz switchmod your PAL Megadrive, boot up Sonic the Hedgehog in 50hz and start running Sonic around... then flip the switch to 60hz and watch how he speeds up :)

Really shows there *is* a speed difference even though most PAL gamers dont seem to notice it.

Originally posted by cezario+Sep 16, 2003 @ 11:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cezario @ Sep 16, 2003 @ 11:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Adrock@Sep 2, 2003 @ 06:04 AM

You could ship them to portugal for us lovely European members of the board and then send them to us :D

I´m from Brazil. Do you want anything from here? I would be glad to help. From fan to fan.[/b][/quote]

I'm a brasilian too :D

If you guys need something........

well I once heard someone say 20 pin Saturn modchips were an easy find in Brazil... if you could get those I'll erect a statue of you in my garden!

Originally posted by AntiPasta@Oct 1, 2003 @ 04:13 PM

well I once heard someone say 20 pin Saturn modchips were an easy find in Brazil... if you could get those I'll erect a statue of you in my garden!

I'll see what I can do for you...

When I bought my modchip it was the wrong one, then I changed it. That means that the guys had 21 an 20 pins mod chips.

Ps: If I find something I want to se a picture of my statue. :D

Originally posted by AntiPasta@Oct 1, 2003 @ 07:13 PM

That sounds hard. Why not just buy a lawn gnome, they bear an uncanny resemblance after you throw some jeans on them...

*has odd memories of his original copy of Burning Rangers, which was made by TecToy and included the US-American game disc plus a Brazilian-language mini-manual, all in an ugly box rather than the (even uglier) oversized jewel case*

I actually resold that game on eBay because, darnit, I wanted an actual US copy. Figures, one guy (who wasn't among the bidders) emailed me accusing me of software piracy. I in turn reported him to eBay for harassment. :p

For all CD-based Sega games, Tec Toy merely did a new package and manual. The disc itself was just mass imported from USA.

For cartrigde games, I think that, back in the day, the ROM itself was also an US ROM. They only made a new plastic case and label.

So, if you buy a Tec Toy Saturn game, you *are* buying an US version, just with a cardboad box and a small portuguese manual.

Now, for the games developed/translated/modified by them... I'm not sure what they did. It's likely that they burned the cartridges themselves, since it's not that hard(after all, they continued to port GG games to the Master System themselves for ages).

The only CD-based game they touched was Saturn's Riven, that was fully translated and dubbed into portuguese. But I'm almost sure the game was pressed by an European company, and shipped over.

Amazing stuff. But yeah, when I said "actual US copy" I meant with the US manual in a US jewel box etc. :) I did say that the DISC was the US one, after all. The voices in the game were English and everything.

Back