The Best PcEngine Games

I must have totally missed out on all the good games for this console. The only ones I've really liked so far is the already discussed ported (and somewhat modified versions) of the Master System games Wonderboy in Monster Land and Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap.

Well it's those two and then there's Photograph Boy wich really kicked ass, seriously. And I'll even pretend to like Monster Wrestling at times, but I was always under the impression that there were loads of great and/or obscure games for this console. That or just plain odd would suit me just fine. But I can't find any of those either.

I never owned this console when I was a kid so that makes it a lot harder to know what games your supposed to know about :blink:. And also there is no nostalgic factor so the games really has to be good on their own.

Know of any either good games or obscure games for the PcEngine? Then tell me! :)

R-Type

Blazing Lazers

Super Star Soldier

Aero Blasters

Parasol Stars

Bonk's Adventure

Bonk's Revenge

Bonk' III: Bonk's Big Adventure

Edit: Oh, and the Bombermans ;)

Well, I was always a big fan of Devil's Crush / Alien Crush.

There was another game I used to like a lot where you were wandering through this space station w/a first person perspective, but I can't remember the bloody name of it.

just to add my two cents, I agree with every choice so far, but I recently picked up space harrier... I don't know how this rates with the versions on sega systems, but hey thats a good choice as well..... :thumbs-up:

The PcEngine-versions of Sega Classics are often better on PcEngine than the Mega Drive/Genesis. Except for Golden Axe. And maybe some more that I've missed out on trying.

Yeah the Bomberman-games are good. I found most of the shmups for the engine wasn't all that fun, but I don't know if the ones you mentioned are any different. And R-Type is a classic, wich is at it best on the engine. Haven't tried the second one that was also released on the engine.

Devil's Crush is that pinball game right? I don't like any pinball games for console/computer. But it might be good if youre into that though.

Maybe I was a little pessimistic about the games, there are in fact alot of good games. But in my opinion no REALLY great game. I like the puzzlers though, but haven't found so many Puzzle Boy and Puzznic are great, not Gulroz Chang Poo (GBA) great, but great. :D

If you wanna see story mode done right in a fighter, check out Advanced V.G. The fighting engine at this point in time was still rather primitive and then there's the loading times but Story Mode was like going through an anime of sorts. Cheerful fluff for the first half then the dark stuff kicks in half way through. Yeah, yeah, fighters aren't played for story.... :blah

Oh, wait. Was this for the little carts only? :unsure:

soldier blade... isn't this supposed to be sooooooooooooo rare and awesome... just thought I would mention it.... ;)

Dracula-X

Kazekiri

Basted

Flash Hiders

Asuka 120%

Adavanced V.G.

Snatcher

Devil's Crush

Ys I + II

Spriggan

Gate of Thunder

Fiend Hunter

and few others can't think at the moment.

If you like hentai stuff watch out for Hacker/Game Express titles.

For example Shiawaseusagi series is good example of underground PCE titles NEC never officially acknowledged.

cheers

Back