The Nintendo Wii

What the f*ck Nintendo? It was all going so well. Then you have to f*ck up by calling it the f*cking piss of a name Wii. Thanks Nintendo, you really had my faith that you wouldn't bone at least one aspect for a while there.

It sounds like a big risk for a name to me. Revolution sounded pretty straightforward, and it had more appeal. Wii doesn't have much of an impact, although still straightforward. I have gotten used to it since first seeing it, but I'm still calling it the Revolution.

The name in a way is almost like the console's controller. Sure, a lot of people were disappointed when first laying eyes on it, but people quickly grew to like it. I think this name just needs time to get used to, a lot of time.

There's a lot of comments on the Gamespot article that reported it (here). Last time I checked, it was nearing 3000 comments.

It's definitely getting a lot of attention, that's for sure. I think they're serious about this name. To change it at E3 wouldn't get much good publicity either, maybe a livid response on par with the current one. What they should've done was rename it at E3 and not 2 weeks ahead of time; I think more people would've gotten used to the name if they done so. When Nintendo releases information at E3, they get the crowd all excited, they're cheering like mad. That would be a better time to speak of a name change once the masses are raving. Don't you agree?

Hmmmm... Not good. I can understand it SOUNDING good. Problem is, reading it. I saw this thread's subject and thought it meant Nintendo was making a World War II game for the Rev.

I was recently going through the IGN article posted for the Revolution's naming (Source) and I saw a section that was interesting and relavent to my earlier post where I talked about unveiling the name at E3:

IGN Wii: Why announce the final name now and not at E3 2006?

Perrin Kaplan: Why are we doing it now? Well, let me just say that if you look at how much time people have spent online talking about it today and paying attention to it today, it really, I think, required that kind of attention and seeping in for people to let it settle a little bit. It would be really, really easy to lose that at the show. Also, I think it's important for us to go into the show with people knowing what we're talking about.

The Tentative Legend of Zelda title was given the name "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" at last year's E3. I've heard comments about the subtitle Twilight Princess, calling it fruity. Do you think if they spilled the beans about the name before E3 like Wii that it would have such a positive reaction? Probably because it's Zelda, but then again probably not because it had a great presentation to go along with it at E3; also keep in mind weeks before E3, TP had as much information out about it as the Revolution/Wii does now. Now we know Nintendo is unveiling further information about the Revolution/Wii at the Kodak Theater on May 9th, wouldn't that be a better time to speak of the name? I think so, they have a driving force behind their information at E3, so it's most likely the name would stick like Twilight Princess did.

Damn, all of this talk about the Revolution/Wii is making me want to play it.

What the f*ck Nintendo? It was all going so well. Then you have to f*ck up by calling it the f*cking piss of a name Wii. Thanks Nintendo, you really had my faith that you wouldn't bone at least one aspect for a while there.

Yeah, what the fuck all right. I mean, it's only a name. It's not like they rushed a launch (Xbox 360). It's not like they released defective hardware (PSX, PS2, X360). It's not like they released a product, only to abandon support for it mere months afterward (Virtual Boy, 32X). What the fuck indeed. Yep, Nintendo certainly messed everything up by giving they're new console a title.

All the bitching and moaning over a FUCKING NAME is really getting on my nerves.

Yeah, I do remember people poking fun at the new Zelda simply because of "Twilight Princess".

So many people are so concerned about image when it comes to the console. Some people are saying "I'm only buying it online now!" "I'm not buying the Wii at all!" They're too embarassed to go into the store, and having people over hearing them asking for the console and cracking jokes.

Grow up people. It's just a name. It's no worse than "PlayStation 3." Scratch that, it's actually A LOT better than "PlayStation 3". When you look at the meaning of the name "Wii" it's a very fitting name, and I like it a lot. Revolution was a better name yes, but Wii is still a good name nontheless.

Don't get me wrong, I'm dislike the name but it doesn't make me want to change my mind about buying it.

That's really pathetic that people don't want to buy it because of a name. I'd buy it regardless because of the brand name and the quality of the products Nintendo has, assuring it will be good. And I have to admit, it's a better name than Xbox.

Of course I'm bloody buying the thing. It's freaking Nintendo. But ugh, calling a console we for 5 years (no not we as in LOL PISS!!1 just as in we) will never cease to be cringeworthy or retarded, even though all who hate it will no doubt use the word.

X Box was called the X Box since it was proposed for Microsoft to make a console. Not "hey let's call it X because X is by default the cool letter!", Direct X Box actually.

So I'm just wondering what you guys would call a new console if you had to think of a name?

"hey d00ds, wanna play wii!?"

Ya, not gunna happen. It'll be sumthin different...someone find the press release, it's funny. It's all publicity.

Crappy name. More difficult to market. Will I buy it? Hell ya, the only N system I never got was the Virtual Boy.

The problem with Wii is that is hard to pronounce, Xbox is not. That's the whole point, Gameboy, Gamecube, Playstation, Dreamcast, all corny names but they all can be said perfectly in an X number of languages without creating weird comunication problems, Wii=oui.

So I'm chatting with this guy at work about the new gen of consoles, and it took some doing, but I got him to say (within earshot of a bunch of other people) that he wanted to play with his Wii. LOL. :twisted:

Back