The people have spoken

There's a very good chance that wasn't the only screwup. For a while Lucas County had 7000+ votes in for David Cobb with 1% of precincts reporting, according to the official site. Supposedly there was another county briefly showing 70% for Cobb. But now Cobb is showing a statewide total of twenty-four votes, whereas the other prominent "alternative" candidates, Peroutka and Badnarik, got over 10,000 votes (Nader was not on the ballot). Something really stinks here.

If all states used more reliable systems, this wouldn't have been as likely to crop up, or at least not as much.

Get your tin foil hats out...

"Sometimes paranoia's just having all the facts."

-- William S Burroughs

and while I'm quoting -

"Well, the first thing I want to say is…'Mandate my ass!'"

-- Gil Scott-Heron

You gotta love this part:

Not everyone agrees. Jeff Miller, a Republican congressman from Florida, considers the monitors an insult and has publicly urged them to leave. "Get on the next plane out of the United States to go monitor an election somewhere else, like Afghanistan," he said.

"I said git!"

Again, no tin foil hats necessary. This story is starting to be picked up by mainstream media outlets.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6210240/

The Video

No, I don't want to see anything come of this in terms of fraud. But yes, there's a problem. Lots of them. When there are more votes than voters, regardless of what caused it, that's a HUGE problem. To think otherwise.. well, that wouldn't be thinking.

Let's explain what these "central vote-counting" machines are. Basically, it's a machine running Microsoft Windows with a Microsoft Access database attached. (Note to the computer-savvy among you: Yes, I shit you not. MS Access. Jeez.) The database keeps track of the votes in each precinct, county, etc., much like an Excel spreadsheet. The software is deemed secret and proprietary; previous lawsuits to examine the code that tabulates the votes have been denied.

ROTFLMFAO

It's funny... Our registers at the video store I work for use a Microsoft OS. Every time there's a computer problem (three or four a day) and a customer asks what's wrong, I just say, "Software from Microsoft," and the customer just says, "Aaahhh," and nods their head in a knowing way. 'Nuff said!

Caelestis, I don't think anyone is disputing that Bush won the popular vote. Nevertheless, do you think these irregularities shouldn't be investigated? And do you think that everybody involved in the process played a totally fair game?

I'm not saying the irregularities shouldn't be investigated. I'm just saying that the idea that the conservatives somehow "stole" the election is preposterous. If there are irregularities, which there always are, I would be extremely surprised if there aren't irregularities on both sides. Nobody seems to be making a big deal out of the electronic voting booths in pennsylvania that were pre-loaded with a few thousand Kerry votes, but a county in Florida that's voted Republican the last 4 elections despite being registered heavily democrat doing so again is making the rounds on the net and actually being given a lot of credibility for some reason.

Originally posted by Caelestis@Thu, 2004-11-11 @ 01:27 PM

I'm not saying the irregularities shouldn't be investigated. I'm just saying that the idea that the conservatives somehow "stole" the election is preposterous. If there are irregularities, which there always are, I would be extremely surprised if there aren't irregularities on both sides.

[post=123518]Quoted post[/post]​

Good. Anyone that doesn't think this shouldn't be looked into deserves to have their right to vote taken away. People keep saying that freedom isn't free? Well, guess what? Neither is democracy and it's supposedly fair elections.

Do I smell a Republican conspiracy? No. No current evidence suggests that. But, that's why we investigate things. Watergate didn't just blow up overnight. It started with an insider and snowballed from there. If the media would get off its duff and investigate it could just as easily disprove anything happened as a result of fraud. And that's just as important too. But really, the idea that things can be (maybe not were this time) fixed so damn easy is scary.

Just let people look into it, and let them tell us what they find. The less cooperation they get, the more things look suspicious. If there's nothing to hide, let them look. Lets restore confidence in voting again by fixing any problems or potential problems. If we keep having doubts about the outcomes of our elections, what good are they in the first place?

I'm not saying the irregularities shouldn't be investigated. I'm just saying that the idea that the conservatives somehow "stole" the election is preposterous.

Ahhh, but why is it preposterous? If you can give me one good (ie, not jingoistic) reason why we should 'just trust' Mr. Rove and his buddies, I'll give you a cookie.

BTW, not saying it happened, I'm just saying I don't think the idea is as 'out there' as people would like to think.

Back