The Saturn is 16/9 compatible !!!!

me neither :p

ah, and I know that scart problem too.. but if the picture slides left, and we don't get any vertical black bar on the right.. I can say that the output is wider than 4:3 ..

About the links, you'r led to an error page saying that "non html files cannot display blablabla"

On the error page you have to click on the link saying this:

"Click here to get the file you were trying to download."

then the picture displays.

Barracuda:

The picture slides to the left and we get a vertical black bar on the right.

So, here at least, the Saturn does not output a wider picture than 4/3...

here are some other screenshots:

http://saturn-support.web1000.com/sat_logo_wide.jpg

http://saturn-support.web1000.com/streetzero3_wide.jpg

http://saturn-support.web1000.com/streetzero3_normal.jpg

I understand now.

I was just trying to get the pics to load. :rolleyes:

[then I fixed the links ;)]

On the BIOS screen, the Saturn logo and the copyright mark should both be perfect spheres, not flattened ovals.

Some TVs have hidden service menus that can help with the picture not being centered, try Google (and Google Groups) for instructions. Also, due to the nature of video signals it's not abnormal for the picture to be slightly bigger than what the TV can show - exactly how much depends on your particular TV. On some machines where you have more direct control over the display hardware you have to be careful to set the display so that the important bits are displayed on all TVs, which is why many Playstation games have the option to set the display size and position. I haven't investigated how the Saturn displays its picture, but you don't have the same level of control and none of the docs (that I recall, anyway) warn against displaying stuff at the edges of the screen so I assume that it uses "safe" timing values.

Ive got the exact same TV, how much did you pay for it?

I think what its actually doing is detecting a certain type of signal and changing to cinerama, which is a cross between 4:3 and 16:9, basically it stretches the image slightly, you may notice tiny black boarders top and bottom of the screen. Its basically zooming in on the picture as it detects the boarders, and as the saturn and psx were hardly ever optermised for pal most games had black boarders, making them great for a sort of widescreen view. If that makes sense. But the picture is every so slightly stretched to the left and right, you wont notice this as its done evenly and mainly at the edges rather than the center.

the black borders at top and bottom of screen you'r refering to is due to 50Hz display mode.

it's something different from what we'r tlaking about.

My tv model is a Thomson 32WR23EG, and I paid 590Euros for it. Excellent TV, particularly for the price.

As for myself, I'v only ever used Jap consoles with Jap and US games.

That is to say 60Hz console, so I never had those black borders in any case

And on my tv the tv mode with the Saturn is not cinerama

I explain:

When i set screen mode to "Auto" and I power my Saturn ON, screen switches to 16/9 full screen and picture looks great

In this configuration i cannot go back to 4/3 or to one of the different zoom modes usually available using the Right and Left buttons of the remote

I have to go back in the Preferences Menu of the TV to be able to put 4/3 mode.

When I put something else then "Auto" as screen mode, the picture still displays in a full screen 16/9 mode when I power the Sat ON, but then I can change tv mode using those R and L buttons.

And when I put picture to Cinerama mode, the picture is deformed I stretches above the display area of the screen.

So i don't get a Cinerama mode, but a true full screen 16/9 mode, probably because I use 60Hz console

That explains, I guess, why your Pal games on Pal 50Hz Saturn look like the Cinerama mode of the TV but in fact it comes from the crappy-never-full-screen-50Hz-mode of Pal consoles...

Try a 60Hz Saturn and you'l see (you can modify yours, it's quite easy)

I thought with a 60hz mod it'd be PAL60, not NTSC... so it wouldn't give the same results as your Jap console, I wouldn't think.

well, I did not notice any difference between a NTSC Jap 60Hz console, and a PAL Euro 60Hz modified console...

I know that Australia has a native PAL 60Hz video standard

can anyone being from these parts give info about this matter?

Back