The War Begins Today!

Quake 4 !

So who’s getting it on today’s launch date?

THE WAR BEGINS TODAY!

QUAKE 4 PC DEPLOYED TO STORES NATIONWIDE!

http://www.q4euro.com/comments.php?blogid=...3843cbf95435892

I beat Quake 1 in 1996 but didn’t find as enjoyable as Doom & Quake 2 bored the hell out of me half way through it, but I still completed it because I simply had nothing better to do back then (1998) ;)

So, I don’t know if I should bother with Quake 4 but I have a feeling that it will be a hell of a better game than its predecessors, especially since Raven is behind it.

I can’t imagine how the creators of Heretic & Hexen series, could go wrong with this?

I don’t think the atmosphere & movie-like story line will be as cool as Doom 3 though. Let’s hope it has the same cool, old-school gameplay as Doom3.

[Spoilers Start]

I hate the fact that they revealed so many wow factors from the story-line though; you get stroggified at some point but you’re saved by your buddies just before they implant the mind control chip into your skull & the final Boss is named Nexus.

[Spoilers End]

Why do all the Gaming News sites do this?

I'm sure I'll get Quake 4 at some point, but it'll probably be a while, as I don't think my machine is capable of running the multiplayer (what I'm mainly interested in) all that well.

Well, I played some Quake 4 earlier today. Just single player, didn't get a chance to try multi. I have to say I'm not all that impressed. The game is competent, to be sure, and a lot more action-packed than Doom 3, but it still just feels like a rehash of that game. It feels more like a Quake 2 mod for Doom 3 than anything. As I said, I haven't tried the multiplayer, but given the theme/style of the game and the heavy requirements for decent multi play, I can't picture it being all that hot. Sigh. I wish they had gone the Quake 3 route with this one.

Aren’t the gameplay, story line & in-game music cool like most other FPS made by Raven in the past?

Is the music epic like Heretic & Hexen or is it using that annoying Thrash-Metal soundtrack from Quake 2?

Or even worse, the bizarre disordering music from Quake 1?

Is Quake 4 Long like Unreal 1 & Quake 2?

What about the flow in the levels? Is it completely restrictive and linear like in some modern FPS, or is it complex and nicely convoluted like in Quake2 & Unreal 1, with some backtracking here and some sidetracking there? And are there secrets?

Also How´s the verticality in the levels? Is it mainly flat, or is there plenty of multi-level combat

These are the most important factors in my book rather than graphics.

How well will it play on medium to high details & 640x480, on a system like this?

P4 2.4GHZ FSB 400MHZ

768MB RDRAM (Rambus) 400MHZ

GFTi4200 128MB AGP 8X

Doom3 & ROE played at 45-60FPS with the above settings.

So what should I expect from Quake 4?

Wow, one more thing...

How many CDs does the game consist of?

Aren’t the gameplay, story line & in-game music cool like most other FPS made by Raven in the past?

Is the music epic like Heretic & Hexen or is it using that annoying Thrash-Metal soundtrack from Quake 2?

Or even worse, the bizarre disordering music from Quake 1?

Y'know, I must not be a big Raven fan, because I haven't really liked their FPS games in the past, except for the two you mentioned. The gameplay (single-player, the multiplayer is supposed to be more like Q3, which is good, although IMO the graphics are stylistically worse than Q3) isn't bad, and has kind of an old-school feel to it, but people are constantly talking to you, leading to lots of downtime, which isn't very Quake-like. I don't remember Quake ever having an actual storyline in the past, so I don't know why they decided this game needed one. Maybe it would have been better had they followed up on the Q1 story/enironment (which I always preferred to Q2 anyway... I also like the Q1 music better).

Is Quake 4 Long like Unreal 1 & Quake 2?

What about the flow in the levels? Is it completely restrictive and linear like in some modern FPS, or is it complex and nicely convoluted like in Quake2 & Unreal 1, with some backtracking here and some sidetracking there? And are there secrets?

It seems to be of a decent length, although I only got the chance to play part of the game. It is entirely linear. There are no alternate routes, and no real secrets that I saw (there's stuff like 'look under the floor to find the armor', but that doesn't really count). Also, there's no Quad Damage, etc. in single player.

Also How´s the verticality in the levels? Is it mainly flat, or is there plenty of multi-level combat

You should be happy on that point .. there are plenty of stairways and lifts in the game, as well as some nice outdoor combat.

P4 2.4GHZ FSB 400MHZ

768MB RDRAM (Rambus) 400MHZ

GFTi4200 128MB AGP 8X

I think you'll be stuck on low details with a system like that, although you may be able to stretch medium out of it. Definitely low for multiplayer... keep in mind that the areas in Q4 are much larger and more open than those in D3. Turn shadows off and you can probably run at 800x600 or 1024x768. I would recommend turning shadows off anyway since they are a huge performance hit and don't really add much to the game, unlike in Doom 3.

Back