They're back!

They're back!

I'm so damn excited. I just found out there's a sequel planned for one of my favorite games! If anyone ever played Sam & Max from LucasArts, we're finally getting another one. By the time it comes out it'll be over 10 years between the two. I hope the graphic adventure/interactive comic genre makes a comeback.

More info:

http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/61.html

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

They're back!

This isn't the only title Lucas Arts is resurrecting, the others being Full Throttle and Indiana Jones. And thankfully Full Throttle II won't deviate from what Full Throttle so damned good.

Personally, I'd like to see Maniac Mansion 3, Grim Fandango 2 and another Monkey Island.
biggrin.gif

They're back!

I can't imagine there's much of a market for the old point 'n clicks nowadays.. I used to love them when I was a kid, used to play Monkey Island for hours a day.

I think that whole genre would have to be completely re-thought up if it was to take off again. Look at the Monkey Island sequels, they play pretty much the same as the first one and the last two have been stagnant shite because of it. Grim Fandango was a step in the right direction for graphic adventures I think.

Anyway, yeah Sam and Max was cool
biggrin.gif

They're back!

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Sep. 03 2002, 1:47 pm

Personally, I'd like to see Maniac Mansion 3, Grim Fandango 2 and another Monkey Island.
biggrin.gif

I'd wet my pants if they had another Maniac Mansion. Between Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle you have two of the best GAs ever. I never did get a chance to play Grim, but it looked pretty sweet. Monkey Island is a big name I regret not playing, but yes, I've heard the later ones were total arse.

I can't imagine there's much of a market for the old point 'n clicks nowadays.. I used to love them when I was a kid, used to play Monkey Island for hours a day.

This is probably true. I think in part because they aren't seen as having enough replay value. Once you beat it, you're done. But if it's done right they can be around forever. I still recall the antics of Sam & Max clearly, as do I remember laughing my butt off at DotT.

The LA Archives volume one was a great collection. I loved Fate of Atlantas just as much, but for different reasons than the other two. I was somewhat disppointed with The Infernal Machine though. The story wasn't as compelling as I had hoped, and I didn't even complete it. I got to the last level and didn't really have enough drive to get through it. I seriously hope they don't cripple the good memories I have of these games by trying to create flashy eye candy. That's not what this genre is about. It's about creative story telling and character development. I sorely miss this genre, and I hope we get to see a revitalization--at least in a niche market.

They're back!

I don't think flashy is the direction to go either but I think they should be developed to be a little more versatile.. Have multiple ways of doing things, the way there is elsewhere, rather than wandering for hours trying to use every object with every other object in the hope it'll work ("Use rubber chicken with telegraph pole" - check!).

Just remembering all the others now.. Loom, Beneath a Steel Sky, Zak McKracken. Those were the days
smile.gif

They're back!

Best news I've had all week! I've been praying for a Sam & Max sequel for the last 8 years or so!

Sam: Look at the cute kitten!

Max: I am repulsed by his bulging eyes. I'd like to turn him inside out.

They're back!

there was a maniac mansion 2?

yea this would be a good time to realease something like that.

since most of whats out there right now are doom type games ,war strategy games and flight sims a sam and max would be a fresh new "old" face-- even though i don't like sam and max and will not buy it i think it would re-kindle that genre (which i do like)-- i would like to see a new zak mcracken and a loom type game

They're back!

Originally posted by googlefest1@Sep. 05 2002, 4:01 pm

there was a maniac mansion 2?

Yes, it's called Day of the Tentacle. Good game, and it even contains a copy of Maniac Mansion.

I'm looking forward to the new Sam & Max game, but IIRC it's being done by the same people behind the latest Monkey Island so there's a chance it won't be that great.

They're back!

Originally posted by Myname@Sep. 03 2002, 2:30 pm

they should be developed to be a little more versatile.. Have multiple ways of doing things,

I've always thought this. Not only should they have multiple ways of doing things, but they should include things that can mess you up. So if you try something one way, break something, you might need a second, more complicated way to fix it (using multiple items otherwise not needed, etc).

I'm looking forward to the new Sam & Max game, but IIRC it's being done by the same people behind the latest Monkey Island so there's a chance it won't be that great.

I too am a little concerned. I saw some shots from the up coming Full Throttle 2 in one of their E3 vids for download. It looks like they made the characters 3D. I wish they'd just leave well enough alone. We all know a well put together 2D animated game can be more impressive than some of the best 3D graphic technology around. I suppose in the end all that matters is that it's a fun game to play. It better not be watered down or layed on too thick. If they keep the wise cracks at the same quality and consistency, it'll be a great game.

Back