Thunder Force V

kinda easy

really wonderful bad engrish translation on the japanese version though

graphics are kinda nifty though the panning effects remind me too much of the cheezedick pans on the snes. music isn't great but it's pretty good.

my favorite schump is still blazing star on the neogeo and pr'lly always will be.

the one thing i can't figure out is that i prefer horizontal scrollers to vertical scrollers. it shouldn't mkae any difference but for some strange reason or another it does

oh dear. well lets just say when thunderforce first came on Genesis 500 years ago it was a technical marvel an excellent example of design and a leader in play mechanics. now it’s showing its age in both concept and style.the graphics are a combination of bland and appalling,the gameplay is beyond idiotic and the backgrounds are atrocious and the effects are just like i said before oh dear, this game is f**king poor

Do you like anything at all?

The boss on the water stage in the game still makes me go 'Whoa!' every time
smile.gif

the one thing i can't figure out is that i prefer horizontal scrollers to vertical scrollers. it shouldn't mkae any difference but for some strange reason or another it does

In principle it shouldn't matter, but I think the difference is that they come from different design traditions. Vertical scrollers go all the way back to Space Invaders by way of Galaga and Galaxians (which didn't scroll at all, but pioneered the overall model), while horizontal scrollers seem to derive mostly from Scramble, Vanguard, and Gradius.

um johnd, i think you're thinking of thunder force 1 on the genesis, the only redemeeming value of which is the recycled sound effects from herzog zwei. thunder force 5 was a saturn game and had totally different gameplay. thunder force 4 on the genesis was also really cool

supergrom, at some point in time he said he liked phantasy star 2, which makes him o.k. in my book

galaga is one of my all time favorite games. taste is such a wierd subjective thing

I thought the first Thunderforce game was pretty much unknown. Thunderforce 2 was definately the first Megadrive installment. I personally think they're all fantastic (apart from the first one of which I have no idea).

i'm pretty sure the first one was on the genesis

it wasn't a scrolling shooter though, it was one of those fly in any direction and try to blow up all the enemy bases games like (i think it was) firestorm

ive no idea where this series started or originated from

as there is no thunderforce 1

but heres list of others

thunderforce 2 megadrive 1989

thunderforce ac (arcade) 1990

thunderforce 3 megadrive 1990

thunderforce 4 megadrive 1992

thunderforce 5 saturn/psx 1996/7

the goldpacks for saturn i forgot the years they were released

i think the series started under another name but what on i dont know maybe the pc engine

also tecno soft released hyperduel which is a mixture of thunderforce 3.

possibly a missing link some where along the lines

still a good series to own or play.

Back