Tiles...

mrkotfw

Mid Boss
Hi, I have seen countless demos that use Tiles... I was wondering if saturn can use tiles? if so, what programs are there to make tiles... i need this because im trying to create a huge world that doesnt require that much memory out of the saturn ... What programs can i use? i tried various GBA Map Editors but they are crap ... thanks
wub.gif

VDP2 is based around tiles. I haven't found a good tile-editor and mapmaker for the PC, but there was a new Java-based tile-editor linked off of Zophar's Domain last week that looked interesting. I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself yet, though. As for mapmaking and other tasks, there's a professional DOS-era tool called t.u.m.e. that was released as open source a year or so ago. There are lots of other tools available as well, you just have to have the patience to try them or alternatively make your own. I don't know if any mapmaking tool directly support the Saturn's hierarchical tiling support, but it shouldn't be too hard to adapt existing tools (a map is a map, the elements can be of any size on a conceptual level).

I tried Tume, i don't get that program :/ your right ... How many sprites can be shown at the same time on the screen for the saturn?

As many as you can draw in one frame. The exact number varies depending on the size, bitdepth and type of sprite plus what effects you want to apply.

actually i think i dont think Tiles... VBT just made a cool Pic Viewer... i can load *.bins from a folder instead of having a2mb a.bin lol
biggrin.gif
if only vbt can release the code thanks antime... i guess i can work on tiles later.

Back