To Play Snatcher on the actual Sega CD unit

I have a Sega CD unit collecting dust in my room somewhere. It works great and I've been playing Dark Wizard or the Lunar series on and off when I really get bored.

I've always wanted a copy of Snatchers but couldn't find it. WIth the help of the Underdogs, however, I did find myself a copy of Snatcher that works perfectly with the Gens emulator. Unfortunately, I've discovered that Sega CD emulators cannot SAVE the games!!
sad.gif

Is there a way for me to play Snatcher on my Sega CD with what I've got? I have an .ISO file along with 21 MP3 files. Can I just burn these .ISO and .MP3 files to a CD-R, put it in my Sega CD unit, and play? Or, do I have to do some conversion first? If so, what programs would I need?

Thanks in advance.

Gens saves games quite nicely. It also has save-state support.

As far as the ISO-MP3 restoration goes, if you're using Nero, converting MP3s back to WAVs is an unnessecary step.

Hmm, why is converting from MP3's to WAV's unnecessary with Nero??

Also, do you mean to say that there is a way to save a game for the Sega CD on the Gens emulator and then be able to play that save state the next time I run the emulator??

I've successfully saved games for Dark Wizard and Snatcher, but when I load those save state, the music is heard but the game doesn't resume. I just see a screen of where I had left off and nothing happens.

Originally posted by Optimummind@Dec. 07 2002, 4:32 pm

Also, do you mean to say that there is a way to save a game for the Sega CD on the Gens emulator and then be able to play that save state the next time I run the emulator??

I've successfully saved games for Dark Wizard and Snatcher, but when I load those save state, the music is heard but the game doesn't resume. I just see a screen of where I had left off and nothing happens.

An audio CD's tracks are the same size as the full length WAV files. A CD can generally hold 650-700 MBs of data or 74-80 minutes of audio. amounting to around 8.8 MBs per minute of music or 150 kilobytes per second at single speed CD tranfer rate.

MP3s have to be decompressed or converted to WAV before they can be written to a standard audio CD-R that will play on the Sega CD. Some modern CD players can play MP3 CDs, i.e. MP3 files on a CD-R. The Sega CD is not one of these. The conversion is either done automatically, on the fly, when the track is being written, or done beforehand, saving them as WAV Files, to help assure good burns. Some CD recording software save the WAV files on the hard drive, so as not to need to worry about RAM size. Sometimes, they forget to erase them afterwards.

Originally posted by Link Hylia+Dec. 07 2002, 10:11 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Link Hylia @ Dec. 07 2002, 10:11 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Optimummind@Dec. 07 2002, 4:32 pm

An audio CD's tracks are the same size as the full length WAV files. A CD can generally hold 650-700 MBs of data or 74-80 minutes of audio. amounting to around 8.8 MBs per minute of music or 150 kilobytes per second at single speed CD tranfer rate.

MP3s have to be decompressed or converted to WAV before they can be written to a standard audio CD-R that will play on the Sega CD. Some modern CD players can play MP3 CDs, i.e. MP3 files on a CD-R. The Sega CD is not one of these. The conversion is either done automatically, on the fly, when the track is being written, or done beforehand, saving them as WAV Files, to help assure good burns. Some CD recording software save the WAV files on the hard drive, so as not to need to worry about RAM size. Sometimes, they forget to erase them afterwards.[/b][/quote]

Actually audio cd's are about 750mb for a 74 minute one. about 800mb for a 80 minute one.

One second of audio is:

44100 hZ(ie samples per second) x 2 bytes per sample (16 bit) x 2 channels = 176400 bytes per second (or ~172Kb)

One minute of audio is"

176400 x 60 seconds = 10584000 bytes (or ~10MB)

So a 74 minute cd (it's actually about 74 mins and 20 seconds) would be:

10584000 x 74 = 783142000 bytes (or ~747MB)

While audio cd's and data cd's use the same amount of space physically on a disc, the data cd uses 304 bytes of every 2352 byte sector for error correction and as such the capacity is reduced to about 650MB. Mode 2 data tracks only waste a few bytes on the error correction and can come closer the using the full size of he cd.

Thanks for the link to the "restoring from iso-mp3" guide. I followed its directions and now I can play Snatcher on my Sega CD unit from a download from the Internet!! cool~~

Back