Top Shooter

Has anyone tried Top Shooter for Genesis? How do you get passed the "Insert Coin" screen to start the game. It seems to be designed for Megadrive-based Arcade hardware. So, what would be the key combination to start it? I've tried with both flash cart and emulator.

I've tried the game and yes, it doesn't work. I'd say it looks like an arcade game so it looks for a coin slot that doesn't exist on MD. So no way to play it, maybe someone here could find a way to hack it. Another idea would be to try the rom on mame or mess.

I gather it's for the MegaTech or MegaPlay arcade systems (the equivalent of Nintendo's Player's Choice). Most likely the MegaPlay, where a player can buy credits. Still, that is just a MegaDrive. There should be some button combo to make the thing start.

I doubt it's for Mega-Tech or Mega-Play; Mega-Tech (AFAIK) doesn't require the game to actually handle credits, while Mega-Play seems to have enough modifications that I don't think ROMs for it would even run on a stock Genesis/emulator. It may have been for some kind of custom rig where the developer built a JAMMA adapter for a Genesis/MD board...

Ah, I see. Very interesting! So, I am guessing that the software would need some kind of signal to know when a coin has been inserted. I would have thought the controller port would be the best place to get that signal to the program; perhaps with a key combo the player could not normally achieve (like UP and DOWN simultaneously). But that's just how I would do it. Do you think the input came through the expansion port? That seems overly complicated.

What about a game genie code to get unlimited credits ? would normal controls work after ?

vbt said:
What about a game genie code to get unlimited credits ? would normal controls work after ?

This is how I got Super Bubble Bobble to work! Just a simple game genie code. But I got it from someone else. I don't know how to make new codes.

Jeffrey said:
Ah, I see. Very interesting! So, I am guessing that the software would need some kind of signal to know when a coin has been inserted. I would have thought the controller port would be the best place to get that signal to the program; perhaps with a key combo the player could not normally achieve (like UP and DOWN simultaneously). But that's just how I would do it. Do you think the input came through the expansion port? That seems overly complicated.
Getting the input over the expansion port is no more or less complicated than getting it over a controller port; the two are essentially identical except for the connector gender.

vbt said:
What about a game genie code to get unlimited credits ?
That seems like the most practical option. I might look into it this weekend if I have some free time.

ExCyber said:
That seems like the most practical option. I might look into it this weekend if I have some free time.

Do you use the random guessing method for developing Genie codes? Or do you analyze the software? I wish I knew how to make codes.

Back