Turrican II (USA AMIGA) playable on EURO/PAL AMIGA

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying the origial Turrican II (USA version)(Amiga) / boxed. But will this USA region disk version work on a EURO PAL Amiga?

I have a basic EURO PAL A1200 & Commodere 1084S monitor and a multi region EURO PAL/NTSC/SECAM TV

Thanks in advance.

Alex.

Yeah, it'll work. Any amiga with ECS or higher chipset (specifically I think it's the 1 meg or greater Agnus that's required) is able to switch between NTSC/PAL at will. I play PAL games on my A3000 all the time.

Cool Thanks.

I always wanted an original working boxed copy of Turrican II.

It's time I cleaned the dust off my good old A1200 then! ;)

Oh, by the way, won’t there be any timing differences between USA Turrican II & the EURO PAL A1200?

Will there be any un-synchronisations or slower gameplay & music?

I would hate to listen to Chris Huelsbeck’s gorgeous music at a slower rate.

Thanks.

No, although is the NTSC version actually optimized for that? I always thought Turrican II was meant to be played in PAL. Anyway, all you have to do is hold down both mouse buttons when you boot up the machine. That'll take you to the early startup menu where you can select NTSC mode.

Actually, there are some very slight differences in video timing on a PAL machine in NTSC mode vs. a real NTSC machine and vice-versa, but not anything that'll effect gameplay. It's just enough to throw off video capture devices, like you might be getting 59.89hz instead of 60. The only reason I know that is because the guys doing the Amiga DemoDVD apparently had some issues with it. But I've never seen any incompatibilities with games crop up because of it. If your machine has any trouble running Turri II, you may need to run some kind of degrader software such as TUDE (to disable fastram or the FPU or whatever), but IIRC Turri II runs on a lot of strange hardware without issue.

Back