Unknown AM2 game

Well, it's something like a disc created for the fans of Namie Amuro, a Japanese pop star. It consists of a nice intro, a few minigames (VERY simple minigames you'll beat in 3 minutes) and the dancing part of the "game"... you ought to see those graphics. Hi-res as in VF2 and the girl has a lot of polygons -well, it's not so incredible because that's the only thing you see: a girl, a 2D background, the floor and some special effects like flashes, lights and transparencies.

But how do you play this? No, this is not Parappa or Jung Rhythm. Namie sings (only 2 tracks and 2 remixes, I think) and dances (excellent motion capture) while you can move the camera (angles, zoom...) and create the forementioned special effects.

And then you turn off your Saturn and play a real game -with a real girl, if possible.

I saw some screenshots some time ago... don't remember where. This is Vol. 1 Starring Namie Amuro, but I haven't heard of Vol. 2...

If you want to listen to the game's music, one of the songs was "You're my sunshine". Hope it helps
smile.gif

They have musical SS disks for usualy popular Japanese artists. When you buy it, its more for the music and a collectors fan disk. When the SS was alive, you could buy those Game disks in Convenience stores or other little vending places for a much cheaper price than normal games.

I have the original DDR Namie Amuro (and ended up buying two actual albums of hers, too)
smile.gif

The graphics are EXCELLENT indeed, actually approaching Dreamcast quality, a feat that makes even Radiant Silvergun or Dead Or Alive sweat. We're talking 640x480 at 60fps here, and motion capture that's so natural, it's to drool over.

One thing you can also do besides watch Namie sing/dance and move the camera is rearrange the songs, they're split up into bars which you can re-sequence, and the video changes accordingly.

Truly a fan disc, but also - IMHO - a breathtaking Saturn graphics demo.

And one more thing, I'm 95% sure Vol. 1 was it - there never was a DDR Vol. 2.

There are, of course, Saturn fan discs featuring other Japanese stars, but they aren't a dance mix, or interactive music video, like Namie Amuro's DDR is.

Originally posted by Taelon@Jan. 10 2003, 10:45 pm

One thing you can also do besides watch Namie sing/dance and move the camera is rearrange the songs, they're split up into bars which you can re-sequence, and the video changes accordingly.

Truly a fan disc, but also - IMHO - a breathtaking Saturn graphics demo.

Yeah! I forgot that, it's a cool feature.

And yes, the graphics are very good. But is it 640 x 480 or maybe 704 x 480? I thought Last Bronx's resolution -for example- was 640, but in games like VF2 and Namie Amuro it seems higher. I remember the day I saw a video of this game on TV... wow, it looked awesome!

BTW, Taelon... where did you buy the albums?

I suppose I *could* post some rather average-quality screenshots using my webcam from the DDM "game" in action. Just let me know if you'd like that.

The Namie Amuro CDs are called "Sweet 19 Blues" and "Concentration 20" - they include the two songs featured in DDM as well
smile.gif
- and I bought them on eBay in December...

Concentration 20 is easier to get, Sweet 19 is somewhat harder to get but does show up now and then...

What's worth mentioning is that the music was produced by Avex Trax, who are also (at least) responsible for the killer soundtrack in Sega Touring Car Championship
smile.gif

Back