US takeover fails

That's interesting... the U.S. Justice Dept. is now getting into the act. It's not similar to Lik-Sang in that private corporations shut them (a business) down, and had them stop selling mods, but a government agency? I wonder what kind of jurisdiction they have on the internet... This is that grey, undefined area.

It's also different in that in the Lik-Sang case they were after them as sellers and distributors of modchips but in this case I get the feeling the modchips were only used as a pretext to shut the site down. The site was far more important as a central info repository for pirates than as a seller of modchips.

According to posts in the Slashdot thread on the subject, the DEA has started taking over sites selling bongs and similar stuff.

googlefest1, which of your constitutional rights have been violated by this? Remember that the Xbox chips include Microsoft's BIOS which they do have the right to protect. (The exception being the Linux project's Cromwell BIOS which can't boot copied games.)

Anyway, iSONEWS lives on for now at this address.

actualy i probably refered to the constitution in error

what i was refering to was the right to make a legal copy of your movie, software, etc . so that you can store you originals

some people actualy do that you know - i do that (but i usualy wait till you cant easily buy it anymore) (example all my favorite pc software i have i make a back up and then a back up - so if the back up goes bad then i have the other back up to make another backup so i have no need to break out the original--- same thing with my audio cds some of which cost more than 200$ so those i keep in a case and use only back ups -- same with the old game systems

Remember that the Xbox chips include Microsoft's BIOS which they do have the right to protect. (The exception being the Linux project's Cromwell BIOS which can't boot copied games.)

The "Enigmah" chips Rocci was prosecuted for selling are not capable of containing a Microsoft BIOS; they work like a Game Genie and patch the relevant routines in the boot ROM as it's being read.

what i was refering to was the right to make a legal copy of your movie, software, etc. so that you can store you originals

Strictly speaking, this is not a right, but an exception to certain parts of copyright law. In any case, you're far from alone in being concerned that Chapter 12 makes it irrelevant.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Feb 27, 2003 @ 07:15 PM

The "Enigmah" chips Rocci was prosecuted for selling are not capable of containing a Microsoft BIOS; they work like a Game Genie and patch the relevant routines in the boot ROM as it's being read.

Thank you for the correction, I didn't know that.

Originally posted by antime@Feb 27, 2003 @ 11:50 AM

It's also different in that in the Lik-Sang case they were after them as sellers and distributors of modchips but in this case I get the feeling the modchips were only used as a pretext to shut the site down. The site was far more important as a central info repository for pirates than as a seller of modchips.

According to posts in the Slashdot thread on the subject, the DEA has started taking over sites selling bongs and similar stuff.

googlefest1, which of your constitutional rights have been violated by this? Remember that the Xbox chips include Microsoft's BIOS which they do have the right to protect. (The exception being the Linux project's Cromwell BIOS which can't boot copied games.)

Anyway, iSONEWS lives on for now at this address.

isonews isnt a central repository for pirates, its a repository for lamers who have no access in the scene

Originally posted by googlefest1@Feb 27, 2003 @ 12:04 PM

actualy i probably refered to the constitution in error

what i was refering to was the right to make a legal copy of your movie, software, etc . so that you can store you originals

some people actualy do that you know - i do that (but i usualy wait till you cant easily buy it anymore) (example all my favorite pc software i have i make a back up and then a back up - so if the back up goes bad then i have the other back up to make another backup so i have no need to break out the original--- same thing with my audio cds some of which cost more than 200$ so those i keep in a case and use only back ups -- same with the old game systems

people who think they have that right are so dumb

thank you jurai for being so smart and letting all of us know about our ignorance with out offering any suport as to why we are all so dumb

Originally posted by googlefest1@Feb 26, 2003 @ 10:05 PM

thank you jurai for being so smart and letting all of us know about our ignorance with out offering any suport as to why we are all so dumb

Unfortunately, it's not the first time.
sad.gif
But, wherever you go, you'll always find one of 'em.

here's a quick question...excuse my lack of knowing a logical answer, but why are newsgroups still up and going strong?? I'd think if the government wanted to hit piracy strong that would be there first avenue.

Originally posted by Zziggy00@Feb 27, 2003 @ 09:56 PM

here's a quick question...excuse my lack of knowing a logical answer, but why are newsgroups still up and going strong??

Do you mean Usenet?

Originally posted by racketboy@Feb 27, 2003 @ 08:46 PM

today I've seen a couple more "scene" sites gone down...

some new, some old

same problem.....?

been looking on other boards and theory's are that other sites are taking their board down to "hide and take cover"

yeah i wouldn't doubt it, good thing Ice hasn't been selling modchips
biggrin.gif

and antime: Not all of usenet but why haven't all the alt.binaries groups been attacked, or have they and no one ever hears about it...

Fewer and fewer servers carry binary groups, so that problem is taking care of itself. It's also infeasible to kill parts of a distributed, international network. Even if you forced all US ISPs to drop them, they'd still be going outside the US.

Hmm...that's a bit harsh. Glad I live in Australia.
cool.gif

A quick question: Can you still be prosecuted under the DCMA if the chip you sell contains no copyrighted code? For example, it is preflashed with the cromwell bios.

Back