using Satiator without a connected disc drive

I recently acquired a 21-pin Model 1 Japanese Saturn with a busted disc drive for the sole purpose of using my Satiator on it. Since I don't need to read discs, I was hoping to remove the optical disc drive altogether. However, when I try starting the Saturn without the drive connected, I'm met with a 'Checking Disc Format' and red orbs on the CD player menu. Everything works fine, and it boots into the Satitor without issue if I reconnect the disc drive's ribbon cable.

Are there any known modifications that I can make to bypass the check so that I can use the Satiator and possibly the SAROO in the future without having a disc drive connected?

I did find this recent thread, and the answer seemed to suggest it should just work, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding something. Any more info on this or some pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Looking at the thread you linked, it sounds like only specific models of the Saturn will work without a cd-rom attached.

Considering yours is a Japanese model one, and tzmwx's post lists what appears to be all early models as requiring the cd-rom to be attached, I'd guess that's probably your issue here. Satiator seems like an odd choice for a cd-rom-less Saturn, as opposed to a cd-rom replacement ODE like the Fenrir?

Satiator seems like an odd choice for a cd-rom-less Saturn, as opposed to a cd-rom replacement ODE like the Fenrir?
Heh, I already had the Satiator, and this is my second Saturn as a digital-only option to travel with. I was just trying to see what I could set away with what I already had on hand 😛

Thanks, I appreciate the clear up!

Back