vcd on saturn

You need to install a VCD card, after that you just plonk in the CD and turn on the machine.

I bought a JVC VCD saturn card, however I also had to one of those action replay things to rmove the region thing in order to play vcds. Is this usual?

The official sega one will play both pal and ntsc but with strange green boxes and lines everywhere when your try to play pla on the ntsc and vice versa

Ya, my Sat has a region switch, and I need to switch it into jap mode for my Hitachi one to work.....does just a region cart work?

I believe a cart isn't enough, because it only disables the region check in software when booting a foreign-region game, whereas a switch actually puts the Saturn into a given region the moment you turn it on. Say if you have a US Saturn and play a Japanese game with the AR cart, it'll still run on a US Saturn (as far as the Saturn itself is concerned).
smile.gif

No, I'm pretty sure that a cart will do it.

I'll test the theory later this afternoon.
smile.gif

I have a Hitachi Saturn with the Hitachi VCD card. I took the Hitachi VCD card out of my Hitachi Saturn and put it into my modded US Saturn. I plug in my Action Replay 4M Plus cart to my modded US Saturn and try to play a VCD. It doesn't work, says something about "Application Error", IIRC.
sad.gif

In your dreams.
laugh.gif

I've just got a VCD playing on my Euro Saturn with a JVC card and an AR4M+.
tongue.gif

You go through the usual AR menus as if you were going to play a game, but instead of starting the game you exit back to the CD player (by pressing C) which then in turn takes you to the VCD menu.

BTW, the VCD card definitely doesn't work without the AR.

mal 1, Taelon 0

(I've lost count so I'm starting again
wink.gif
)

Okay.
tongue.gif
But Akuma spoke of a Hitachi card whereas your is a JVC. They might just be different in regard to regions...

mal 1, Taelon 0.5

Originally posted by Taelon@May 12, 2003 @ 03:32 AM

Okay.
tongue.gif
But Akuma spoke of a Hitachi card whereas your is a JVC. They might just be different in regard to regions...

mal 1, Taelon 0.5

Oh my, the limits are being pushed!

You're grasping at straws Taelon, I'm not wrong and you're not right.

I wonder if the Hitachi VCD card would work for Akuma if he did the same things I did...

I RECANT!!! I RECANT!!! I got it my Hitachi VCD card to play VCDs on my modded U.S. Saturn with the AR cart4M+ cart plugged in!

biggrin.gif
:devil
laugh.gif
:boldred :bounce

Here's what I did:

[*]plugged VCD card in at the back

[*]plugged AR4M+ cart into the cart slot

[*]put a VCD in, closed the door, and powered on

[*]Pressed A on "START GAME"

[*]Pressed C on "START GAME WITH NO CHEATS ENABLED"

I realized out what I did wrong in my previous attempts. Before, I pressed A instead of C on "START GAME WITH NO CHEATS ENABLED" which gave me the "...LOADING..." screen and it just stood like that forever which lead me to believe that my beloved Hitachi VCD card didn't work on my modded Saturn even with the AR4M+ cart. Pressing the C button did the trick. Silly me! Thanks mal for pointing out that the C button takes you back to the CD menu which then takes you to the VCD menu! I should have read the details and tried that option back then.
tongue.gif

FYI, before entering the VCD menu, it shows a blue screen with this info at the bottom half:

VICTOR COMPANY OF JAPAN, LTD. 1995

SEGA ENTERPRISES, LTD. 1995

Hitachi, Ltd. 1995

And to confirm that the VCD card doesn't work without an AR cart, here's what it says on the CD menu if you don't have the AR cart plugged in:

Disc requires

system application

Back