VGA for older systems

I'm resurrecting my old consoles (SNES, Genesis) plus other older systems and I want to connect them to a vga monitor, the reason being I'm gonna set up a MAME computer set up and would like to switch between the comp and the systems on one monitor. Lik-sang sells a general av to vga converter for 70 bucks - is that my only option? Thanks.

I would think so, except you could put a card capable of grabbing NTSC video in your computer and use the PC to show the consoles' video on your monitor.

That's not your only or best option. If you want a good picture, pick up an XRGB-2 or 2+ from ebay or ncsx.com these will upscan RGB signals from your old systems for very good picture quality. The cheap ones give washed out colors and bad picture quality. Check out http://atarilabs.com/index2.shtml for more info

Originally posted by venom@Feb. 02 2003, 9:19 pm

That's not your only or best option. If you want a good picture, pick up an XRGB-2 or 2+ from ebay or ncsx.com these will upscan RGB signals from your old systems for very good picture quality. The cheap ones give washed out colors and bad picture quality. Check out http://atarilabs.com/index2.shtml for more info

Thanks for the suggestion, but I live in the states, so RGB gives people around here the "huh??" look. I'm really only looking to reduce space on my desk buy only using one monitor instead of a tv and monitor. The XRGB-2 looks great, but I'm using a nice big 32 inch TV with a semi-decent surround system: the monitor's only 19 inch. I know there's a significant increase in visual quality, but mind you to maximize the experience I'd need to probably get RGB scart cables for all of my systems, PLUS plunk down the 200 big ones for the converter. I think I'll wait on that one. It's a great tool, but not right now.

You might be a little confused on the RGB part. VGA cables carry RGB signals. VGA monitors for PCs work with RGB signals. It just means that red, green and blue have separate wires, it doesn't automatically mean SCART cables (which are more of an European thing).

I don't know what the features of this XRGB-2 thing are, but if it has a VGA output then it's exactly what you want to hook up your consoles to your 19" monitor.

Originally posted by Taelon@Feb. 03 2003, 2:02 pm

You might be a little confused on the RGB part. VGA cables carry RGB signals. VGA monitors for PCs work with RGB signals. It just means that red, green and blue have separate wires, it doesn't automatically mean SCART cables (which are more of an European thing).

I don't know what the features of this XRGB-2 thing are, but if it has a VGA output then it's exactly what you want to hook up your consoles to your 19" monitor.

Ok, I might be confused on this, but the according to Micomsoft, they highly recommend that you use a japanese RGB scart as your source (not european); use anything below that like 2-video or even component and you're wasting your time (and money). You need the best source input to get the best source output.

From speaking with people component will give a good enough signal for the XRGB. I thought you just wanted to hook everything up to your computer monitor. So, you could just get a video card with s-video out and hook it up to your tv along with your systems.

Agreed. S-video itself is pretty damned good already and should ROCK on a VGA-quality monitor.

Plus, consoles with true RGB output capability go at least as far back as the Saturn, so maybe even older consoles could already do this...

Back