Video Card recommendations

it290

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a new video card for my linux box. I'm looking for a bit of a specialized card - here are my requirements:

1. Has to be an Nvidia card

2. Has to be faster than the GF4 Ti4600 I currently have in there

3. Has to be fanless (heatsink only)

4. Has to be fairly cheap

Is there anything out there that fits this bill? It seems like all the newer cards have a fan of some sort, other than the FX5200, which I don't think really has enough power to justify the upgrade. I don't do much gaming on this machine, but I want a card that can at least run UT2004 and DOOM 3 acceptably (which my current card does). Any recommendations?

Well I was going to recomend ati, as I've never been pleased with an nvidia product, but I guess I'm disqualified by the first rule.

It's an AGP mobo. I know there's a fanless 6800 out there; maybe I should look into that.

Hmm yeah, still a bit on the pricey side I guess. Maybe I'd be better off just getting a heatpipe cooler for my GF4 for now. After investigating a little more it doesn't seem like there's anything that can really replace it very well right now. I'd love to put a Radeon in there, but the drivers just aren't good enough. Oh well, between the Ti4600 and my 9500 Pro, both have been some of the most dependable and long lasting cards I've had.

Back