Video CD card FMV

Originally posted by G. Borisz@Tue, 2005-11-15 @ 12:26 PM

Can those AIFC files handle looping natively?

[post=141767]Quoted post[/post]​

As far as I know: no. The AIFF file format is just the Apple counterpart of WAV on Windows.

Doesn't ADX uses a lossy audio compression, in the veins of MPEG1-L2?

I haven't played any of those softdec Saturn games. I didn't even know there were Saturn games using software MPEG1 decoders. How does the image quality compares to *good* Cinepak and Truemotion?

Originally posted by M3d10n@Tue, 2005-11-15 @ 09:21 PM

Doesn't ADX uses a lossy audio compression, in the veins of MPEG1-L2?

[post=141787]Quoted post[/post]​

It's not lossy, it's just ADPCM.

I may be mistaken, but I think ADX is the overall API / tool suite, not any particular codec. I think later versions do support some kind of lossy codec...

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Wed, 2005-11-16 @ 12:38 PM

No, ADPCM is of course a lossy compression.

[post=141810]Quoted post[/post]​

I just converted an ADPCM file back to raw PCM and then back to ADPCM and the file I ended up with had the same CRC that the file I started out with had.

Originally posted by G. Borisz@Wed, 2005-11-16 @ 08:00 PM

I just converted an ADPCM file back to raw PCM and then back to ADPCM and the file I ended up with had the same CRC that the file I started out with had.

[post=141812]Quoted post[/post]​

That's no proof, as you don't compare it to the original.

If ADPCM were lossless, we wouldn't need any mp3.

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Wed, 2005-11-16 @ 03:38 PM

That's no proof, as you don't compare it to the original.

If ADPCM were lossless, we wouldn't need any mp3.

[post=141814]Quoted post[/post]​

The original file was already in ADPCM. I transencoded it into adpcm again and ended up with the same file. You can transencode a mp3 into another mp3 but you wouldn't end up with the same file.

Originally posted by G. Borisz@Thu, 2005-11-17 @ 10:52 AM

The original file was already in ADPCM.

[post=141835]Quoted post[/post]​

Why don't you try it with an uncompressed original file? Then you'll see that ADPCM is lossy.

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Thu, 2005-11-17 @ 06:41 AM

Why don't you try it with an uncompressed original file? Then you'll see that ADPCM is lossy.

[post=141836]Quoted post[/post]​

You could convert an original high resolution DVD-Audio track into CD-Audio format, but that wouldn't make CD Audio lossy, now would it?

ADPCM algorithms work by quantizing the difference between the actual signal and a predicted value. If you decompress the result you will get a signal where the quantization has aldready been performed, and thus you will get the same result if you compress it again.

For example, if you look at an 8-bit sample you will get values that are in the range of 0-255. But if you look at the difference between one sample and the next, most values will be quite small. So you get a great idea: instead of storing each 8-bit sample you store only the first sample as an 8-bit value and after that only the differences as 4-bit signed values. If at any point the difference is greater than what can be stored, you store the maximum and continue from there.

If you now decompress your result, there will be no two consecutive values where the difference is outside the range -7<=n<=8. This means you can repeat the decompress-compress cycle as many times as you like, and the result will stay the same. However, if you compare the output to your original you will most likely see differences.

(The above is a differential PCM coding algorithm. ADPCM algorithms will predict the next encountered value using some scheme, and store the difference between the predicted value and the actual one. There are some ADPCM algorithms that are lossless, but AFAIK most are lossy.)

You could convert an original high resolution DVD-Audio track into CD-Audio format, but that wouldn't make CD Audio lossy, now would it?

No, but if the source material was anything other than 16-bit 44.1kHz the conversion process would be.

I was lost a long time ago, but to prove if a file has been changed couldn't you use patch maker on the 2 files and see if they are different or not?

Originally posted by Quick Man@Thu, 2005-11-17 @ 07:14 PM

That prediction wouldn't be Bayesian, would it?

It can be anything you can come up with. The goal is to minimize the prediction error, and different applications have different needs (eg. speech vs music, realtime compression vs offline analysis).

Though it's important to note that the prediction has to produce the same values on output using only information from the first part of the file in order for the tecnique to work properly. This makes learning algorithms somewhat impractical.

I would imagine that most ADPCM implementations use some kind of regression on the previous samples modelling the waveform after a sine, quadratic or cubic curve. Some might do a simple linear regression for speed reasons.

A simple way to do lossless ADPCM would be to Huffman encode the differences rather than using a fixed value. That keeps the number of bits used down for the more common deltas, but allows the field to expand to accomodate the more common deltas for full lossless operation.

I just had a look at the Dreamcast tools adx2wav/wav2adx. ADX is said to be ADPCM, too.

We could make a ADX player for Saturn. I wonder if the SCU DSP is suited to do ADPCM decoding, since the load on the SH2 CPU is heavy when playing ADPCM with SBL's PCM lib. A second reason is, that all tools I tried to create ADPCM encoded AIFC sound files failed to create Saturn compatible output.

Back