Video Game Predictions!

Let's all make predictions for the videogame world. If your prediction comes true, I'll mail you a sandwich.

My Predictions (part 1):

1) Sega will RENTER the console market around 2005 with the release of a system that on paper seem light-years ahead of its time, but it will receive luke-warm responses similar to the Atari Janguar effort. (probability 74%)

2) The rapid release of gameboy variations will tire the audience, and portable gaming will be seen as a fad when the market slows down around 2004. Cheaper portable companies will then flood the market with Tiger like games, and the target market will drop in age. Around Fall 2004 (probability 50%)

3) The market is too small for 3 competitors. The xbox, PS2, Gamecube war will end with Nintendo announcing they will focus on portable gaming. They will claim to support the GC and let in slowly fade away. Abiding by the 2 market rule: console wars will be between Sony and Microsoft for home systems, Nintendo and a new mysterious competitor for portable systems. I suspect this is where Sega will reenter the game. (probability 90%)

Ok. Which do you think are possible? What probability? And what are your predictions?

Remember, free sandwich to the winners.

the idiots running sega will sell out or close up due to lack of interest from the uneducated "playstation generation"

sub-sega companies like sonic team and hitmaker will continue to produce gold titles.

the ps2 will be flooded with 20 or so versions of final fantasy and no gamer will be able to choose which game they want.

sony will continue to keep square tied down, not to market ps2 but to stop them filling 3 quarters of the shelf for every console with final fantasy games.

final fantasy games will still be good in any case (just so you dont misinterpret me)

the moderators will realise that virtua fighter is better than fighting vipers so fighting viper should be a lower post status than virtua fighter.

sega will NOT re-enter the console market. Even if they did they would never be the real sega we love becuase that sega went with the reform. now we have stupid ps2 supporting sega. and sonic on nintendo sega.

Nintendo couldnt possibly die in the home console market. Not them too.
unsure.gif

1 I think that sometime in the next 2-3 years Sega WILL release a new 'toy' for us to play with!
tongue.gif
...but then just like before, sony will release a PS3 and poop all over sega (for a third time)
sad.gif

It's like the offspring song 'Way Down The Line' says......

'It all just happens again

Way down the line'

AND

'You know it's never gonna end

The same old cycle's gonna start again

What comes around well it goes around'

2 Final Fantasy 13/14/15/16/17...etc....

3 Tomb Raider 7

4 A Mario/Sonic 'buddy' game....
ph34r.gif
(yes...this WILL happen .....one day)

5 Basicly, More of the same old S**t we have now......Fifa/nhl/nfl/nba titles from EA

More Starwars titles (as and when the new movie comes out...(2005)

More sonic :cheers

Mario
rolleyes.gif

SONY!!!! :devil
damn.gif
:smash

and alot more.........(i'm sure!)
wink.gif

I'm guessing there'll be a big videogame crash within the next years, just like 25 yrs ago. the market is sated, nothing new is released, game quantity keeps going up while quality decreases rapidly.

Maybe...maybe not. Games of 25 years ago had no hope of living up to whatever hype was produced - the graphics (amongst other things) simply couldn't live up the the cover art and the advertisements. The gaming industry is taking on an approach more and more like Hollywood in terms of marketing. I really can't see a collapse occuring anytime soon of either Hollywood or the game industry.

Anyway, my predictions:

Sega will not re-enter the market - too much competition, absolutely no user base.

PS3 will be overhyped, under- powered and developed and loved by the masses.

Nintendo will phase out it's console line, and concentrate largely on handhelds, and largely in the Japanese market place. Oh wait, they are already doing that...
wink.gif

An interesting new virtual reality technology will be developed...and then ignored by the masses. You'll be able to buy it on mEgaBay for 25 universal credits shortly afterwards.

Here's what I think (in order of occurence)

1. By 2004 or 2005 a new company will emerge pushing the boundries of gaming and interactive experiences... it will be a total flop and that company will go out of buisness shortly after from having no user base and entering the still ongoing three way console war.

2. By 2005-2007 the ps3 will be announced/released and kids will be shitting themselves. It'll be only a small upgrade from the ps2 and it'll offer online support which is actually WORTH WILE. It'll suck nonetheless and people will still buy it up like hot cakes

3. Microsoft, at the same time as the ps3, will release a new xbox or other console. It will really be the only system out there that is worth buying and lives up to the ype

4. After slowly fading away, sega will re-enter the hardware market with something small like a handheld or joint project with other leading brands. It will see minimal results, but they'll just keep putting out addon after addon until they strangle the poor thing to death.

5. Nintendo finally realizes they can't make a system worth a damn after the gamecube and gives up. They quit on america and Europe (well they were already like that in euorope) and concentrate soley on japan. Those bastards eat it up like cunt and sort of lose concentration stateside (for all japanese based consoles)

6. 4.D.O comes out (I can dream...)

that's the point, there was no hype like today back then. nowadays stuff gets hyped to hell, and the result is disappointing. keeps happening over and over again, till people get sick of it.

What's with all the Nintendo-out-of-console business predictions? Satoru Iwata has said that they will stay with consoles so long as Nintendo's first-party games sell. Also I think he's making a lot of good changes for the company (read: much asskissing of third parties). My prediction is that GC's successor will be very different from the GC.

Originally posted by WiseMan@Jun 17, 2003 @ 05:16 PM

the moderators will realise that virtua fighter is better than fighting vipers so fighting viper should be a lower post status than virtua fighter.

laugh.gif

You'll have to convince Iceman. He chose the order.

Originally posted by Resident_Lurker@Jun 17, 2003 @ 06:27 AM

My prediction is that GC's successor will be very different from the GC.

Exactly, the successor to the GC will be a mighty powerfull handheld or semi-hanheld. Either way Nintendo will make a handheld with a bigger screen and capable of decent 3D rendering next time around. That's why so many people are making a fuss over the PSP, is because it can actually perform (or so they claim, HYPE!) decent 3D rendering.

I'll not be surprised if the PSP ends up being a modified PSOne. I suspect it'll even lack texture perspective correction.

And it'll be expensive... ah, it will. Maybe not much on shelves, but on production line, at least. Geez, the darn thing will have a DVD-upgraded MD drive, and that alone might cost the manufacturing of a whole GBA. Not to talk about battery eating, unless it has loads of RAM to use a CD buffer and avoid streaming. But... that's expensive too.

I think it'll not beat the GBA, but it'll also not flop either. The Wonderswan is still alive and kicking anyway, and the PSP is the next upgrade.

Also... I don't see ANYTHING wrong in the GBA being 2D-based. Actually, I believe that's one of the reasons for it insane success (the GBA SP just got pas 1 million units sold - and it's just a freaking new model). The limited capacity and lack of native 3D make it much cheaper to make GBA games than PS2 games, as example. It can be done by fewer people, in less time, and using less resources, and since little time is spent on the game's graphical engine, the developers can focus more on the gameplay.

Thus why so many games are pumped out so fast. And there are lots of good stuff in there too.

one more small prediction:

The DVD cases used to package modern games will disappear in about 12 months. Just like the original music Cds which came in those long cases, the original video tapes which came in those hard plastic cases (which you only see in libraries now), audio tapes, etc... The DVD case is bulky and unecessary.

I think we just like to celebrate new technology with bold packaging. The slim CD case will replace it.

Sega: will continue diversifying its efforts and platform support, eventually becoming a "super-publisher" similar to Capcom and Konami, but smaller. The less commercially successful subsidiaries or their people will probably be grabbed by Capcom, Konami, Namco, and/or Nintendo.

Nintendo: Will push a new Game Boy architecture around 2007, probably using a fuel-cell battery to power an architecture that is a couple notches above N64 but well short of GC. Will continue development of a Gamecube successor, but will keep developing games for GC and delay an actual release of a successor as long as possible (most likely until Sony starts contemplating a serious schedule for PS3).

Sony: Will continue to push for PS2 development and experiment with possible PS3 architectures until developer interest starts shifting to an Xbox successor, the handheld/cell phone/palmtop market, PC, or generally anywhere other than PS2, at which point they'll shift into PS3 hype/release mode. "PSX" will strictly remain a niche product, much like the Panasonic Q.

Microsoft: Will release an Xbox successor in an attempt to pull developers away from PS2. A few developers will defect and release brilliant games, but the market will largely stick with PS2 because of its installed base and strong international developer support, and the Xbox successor will drown in decent-but-not-designed-for-console PC ports and halfassed PS2 ports. PS3 and a Gamecube successor will have a substantial edge, because MS's design flexibility is limited by the PC architecture. MS will respond to this by turning "Xbox" into a semi-open commodity platform to be integrated into cable boxes and satellite receivers (*cough*NUON*cough*) in an attempt to get a captive user base to dangle in front of publishers.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Jun 24, 2003 @ 06:49 AM

what is your take on the cd cases?

I am glad you asked
smile.gif
I was just about to rant...

Music Cds used to be sold in long tall boxes. Remember those? Then the more practical case we have today replaced them. Now most people like myself throw away music cases and put CDs in wallets.

It is too late for the slim case to make it. Too many furniture accessories were designed around the old one. Also, they slims are still fragile and rigid. Most end up cracked.

I think the slim paper envelope style will replace all of them. Just cardboard or light paper. CD's are so cheap to prodce now, the cases must match the efficiency.

My prediction is that the market is going to slow down, if it doesn't it's going to crash hard. Right now there is to much product and not enough consumer, companies that normally show huge profits are going to start to slip, not into the red, but they will slip a bit.

SEGA will start to show decent numbers, nothing huge and outrageous, but I think 50mill for the fiscal year is a safe guess as they pulled 20mill out of their asses last year.

Nintendo will release a successor to the Gamecube sometime in 2005-2007, but when they do it will show Nintendo moving in a somewhat new direction. They're not going to take any huge steps in any one direction, they're going to focus on broadening their audience with more adult oriented games. Though they will keep in mind that a lot of younger people still love Mario. And they will start to move in the direction of taking online gaming seriousley.

6months to one year later they will release a new Gameboy.

Microsoft is going to follow suit and release a successor to the X-Box. Though they may wait and release it closer the release date of the PS3. I think it would be safe to assume it will be similar to the X-Box is terms of internal workings. Backwards compatability seems like it may be possible.

And of course Sony will release the PS3 in 2006-2007, and despite what SEGA and Nintendo fanboys are saying, it is a formidable product that answers to most of the hype. Cell technology takes gaming to places never thought of before and opens up the market to new and better products. If though, something happens and it doesn't use cell technology then it will leave an opening for Nintendo and Microsoft to close the gap, and they will.

If SEGA is still around in 2010-2012 and far out of the red they may return to the console market. The only way this will happen though is if they conquer EA and become the biggest 3rd party publisher in the world. Then they will have the user base and well-known software base to be able to push a new system to success.

Also, just to note, I know some SEGA fanboys are really hoping for Nintendo to go under and become a 3rd part publisher, or go portable, and I really hate to burst your bubble, but it ain't happenin'. At least not anytime soon. The GC may not be selling as well as Nintendo hoped, but right now Nintendo is rolling in the cash. Last year Nintendo showed profits of 550mill, it's slightly down from the year before, but even at SEGA's peak they never showed profits like that(SEGA not Nintendo). So, get over it, Nintendo beat SEGA and they beat em good.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Jun 24, 2003 @ 06:49 AM

what is your take on the cd cases?

I don't have a problem with them, but I would like to see them refined a bit -- more durable etc.

If they only came in paper sleaves or something, I'd hardly buy any CDs.

Having the case, booklet, art ect is the only thing that makes me want to buy a CD of my favorite bands instead of downloading them.

Games goes the same way.

I like slim CD cases -- I use them for a lof things.

The only thing I don't like is you can tell what album/game it is by viewing the side.

You have to flip though them.

However you CAN use slims in most of the furnature designed for standard cases -- just fit 2 in where 1 standard would go

Originally posted by Mr. Moustache@Jun 24, 2003 @ 09:22 PM

And of course Sony will release the PS3 in 2006-2007, and despite what SEGA and Nintendo fanboys are saying, it is a formidable product that answers to most of the hype. Cell technology takes gaming to places never thought of before and opens up the market to new and better products. If though, something happens and it doesn't use cell technology then it will leave an opening for Nintendo and Microsoft to close the gap, and they will.

I thought there was a statement that the "cell" was out

Back