video resolution

Gallstaff

Established Member
I just downloaded some cartoons off kazaa and want to burn them to play on my laptop, but is there anyway to, after having downloaded the files, make the resolution a higher quality witout it getting grainy when going full screen. I've exparamented with different programs for PLAYING the files and after i tried divx, i was blown away by how much better it was than windows media, realplayer, and kazaa's internal player. it was almost perfect at full stretch, but not quite. So can i somehow alter it to make it better quality? Oh and also, when i burn to cd, does that degrade the quality

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Aug. 16 2002, 8:42 pm

I just downloaded some cartoons off kazaa and want to burn them to play on my laptop, but is there anyway to, after having downloaded the files, make the resolution a higher quality witout it getting grainy when going full screen. I've exparamented with different programs for PLAYING the files and after i tried divx, i was blown away by how much better it was than windows media, realplayer, and kazaa's internal player. it was almost perfect at full stretch, but not quite. So can i somehow alter it to make it better quality? Oh and also, when i burn to cd, does that degrade the quality

ye re encode it at a higher resolution.but no guarantee you get any better pic quality.also i dont know about the burning bit.a suspose you would lose some quality but nothing you will notice.and also re encode into divx format.you get awsome quality with smaller file sizes than mpeg.

but the end quality all depends on how good quality it is in the first place.i mean if you have a shit quality film,no amount of re encoding will make it look better.

i'm really new to this and i'm probably already over my head but how would i re-encode something?
blush.gif

well first you would need the divx codec,which you get with the divx player but you need to register it in order to use the encoding function i think.then you need an encoding program, like avi2mpeg or some video studio editing program.this rips the film frame by frame,and then re encodes it frame by frame into the new format(divx).you can pick tons of settings to improve pic quality and many other things.but it can take a long time to re encode a film.especially if it is a very long one.you can pick all types of video encoder programs if you know where to look.

Re-encoding it will not help anything at all, in fact it will further corrupt the image by adding more compression artifacts. your best bet is to either live with full-screen grainy'ness, squint and have it at orignal resolution, screw around with the % size (100%/200%, etc) or you could try getting powerstrip and setting your monitor to some weird-ass resolution just to watch the video. In its proper resulotion/aspect.

re encoding does help,as divx has many image rectifying settings emmbeded in it.and my m8 constantly improves image

quality of movies by ripping them and re encoding them.

You need to get a grasp of how video and audio comperssion works to understand what you just said. So I'll give you a little quick walkthrough on this.

Let's take a source video, say a DVD video. Well, after you've ripped it you have a VOB file which is the pure DVD video, unaltered pure uncompressed form. When you encode something with divx you have an audio and video stream. The audio stream is usually encoded with mp3 or ogg vorbis. These are lossy audio formats. The video is encoded with DiVX. DiVX is a lossy video codec, meaning everytime you encode something with it, you lose something, data. DiVX does fairly well at mid-high bitrates at masking what it compresses and loses but there are still visible artifacts.

Now say you want to encode at 640x480 for a divx movie. Thats 307,200 pixels per frame that are rendered. Now say you want to do what you intended to by re-encoding at a larger resolution. First you have to uncompress the data from the video-stream back into mpeg or mpeg4 or some uncompressed video format. This will blow a movie up from 700 meg to around 4-5 gig usually, the original size of the unfiltered, uncompressed movie. Although the movie is the same size, data is still LOST because the compression is 'lossy'. Well, say you want to encode the data into a higher resolution, lets say 800x600, thats 480,000 pixels. Thats 172,800 more pixels you have to fit the EXACT same amount of data in as the original resolution. So how do you attempt this feat? Streching. The image is streched, warped and hung to dry. And on top of that, you have to recompress it using a lossy codec which makes it look worse, so you're looking at 2x lossy codec + streched image from resolution change. This is not going to be pretty.

Hope this helped a bit.

Originally posted by lupas@Aug. 15 2002, 11:43 pm

re encoding does help,as divx has many image rectifying settings emmbeded in it.and my m8 constantly improves image

quality of movies by ripping them and re encoding them.

No. You're adding another layer of lossy compression on data that's already been lossy compressed, that's never a good thing, and you're never improving anything by doing so.

Slapping filters on it afterwards just alters the original images even worse and is usually an attempt to cover up the slop.

i have no idea what the hell you just said,but sounded impressive.lol

all i know is my m8 has ripped and re encoded thousands of films.and 80% of the time the results are better quality.

i aint pretending to be an expert on these things.neither does my m8 but hes been doing it a long time now,and seems to yeild good results.now im not saying he could take a bad quality film and make it like a dvd rip,all im saying is he usually makes it better quality.and also i have about ten films here with me now,ripped from dvd and encoded into divx.they show no compression artifacts that you was mentioning,and the image and sound quality are DVD quality.

but i thank you for your informative views on the subject.

well i dont cosider it a waste of time.i thought these were places to leave messages? hence the name message board.why do you consider one persons views a waste of time?is it becouse they are in direct conflict to your views?

ahhh lol

well i understood what you was saying.....kinda.

just most of it went over my head.

hehe oh well catch you on the rebound

just found this new codec,that apparently is 100% lossy free.maybe someone would be interested.it might be a cool codec.

Just a small point - Skank, you said that the VOBs are uncompressed. All DVDs make use of Mpeg 2 compression, so even a "DVD rip" is not perfect quality. An uncompressed movie of that length and resolution would require more like 100GB to store.

Also there are a few lossless video codecs around - you'll ust get a really huge file that looks no different to the source. You can't magically make a video look better by recompressing it. You might be able to add some kind of filtering, but the results almost always look blurry and not "improved".

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata+Aug. 19 2002, 6:25 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MasterAkumaMatata @ Aug. 19 2002, 6:25 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-lupas@Aug. 19 2002, 2:43 pm

just found this new codec,that apparently is 100% lossy free.maybe someone would be interested.it might be a cool codec.

Does this codec have a name?[/b][/quote]

hehe it did,but forgot to put it down.lol. i will attempt to find the page again.apparently the codecs are used in satalite recievers and other film industries.

vcdhelp.com has alot of info on it the only thing i can think of when re- encoding is to use some kind of smoothing option but that will cause the edges to bleed a little and the picture would become less sharp (but mabey you like that )

-- if its a little grainy i dont care - i always have in mind that it is not a dvd

as long as you divix was made well then it should be fine i have downloaded divix off of streamload that were good quality and ones that were bad -- there are many factors that lead to a well encoded divix

take a look at vcdhelp thats a good site and it is up to date with new info and has old methods archived there as well

If I squish a 20' x 20' cardboard box into a 3' x 3' pile and then decide that it should be in a larger pile, I would then smooth the box out (and it would definately look like crap after being squished once) and then resquish it into a 5' x 5' pile, it's gonna look worse than it did in the 3' x 3' pile because its been smashed already.

What is so hard to understand about that?? Jeez.

Back