Vintage game stores

I've been wondering about that too, but asking around got me nothing - I'd love to dev on the 32x, but just very hard to find information and even harder to find a devkit (although you might try this board though)

Originally posted by Jedi Master Thrash@Mar 10, 2003 @ 05:47 AM

Game Informer was great, that was the only game magazine I ever subscribed to (well, ok then I guess I have no basis for comparison. And actually I only subscribed because it was endorsed/owned by? funco which I worshipped at the time). I've saved several issues. Some of their great in-depth reviews giving all the secrets and special moves were wonderful. And the GG/codes sections were great, especially since I didn't have the internet back then, so GI was the only place I had to get codes for games.

Game genie really sucked though, because the book it came with only included codes for a small subset of the available games, and it never included the games I owned. And GG had the evil practice of making you pay to get updated books. I don't know why they never came up with a better system to distribute new GG codes.

Actually there was something pretty dumb with GI too. The prize for submitting a GG code was you get a free GG.... but the prize for submitting a regular non-gg code was a t-shirt or something. Isn't this stupid? If you submit a GG code, isn't it likely that you already have a GG? I think the guy who submits a non-gg code/cheat is more likely to not already have a GG, and they are the ones who should get the free GG as a prize. Just my thought.

But I quit GI once they stopped covering genesis/segacd/32x games. Of course I can't blame them, since there weren't any new games to cover anymore. I just had a huge amount of hatred for the video game industry at that time. I loved the genesis/segacd/32x system, and it just upset me to no end that they quit making games for it so fast.

There were definitely plenty enough of people who owned the consoles. All of the stores sold out of 32Xs before christmas. Plently of people who would have worshipped each new game that came out for their old system. But instead of being nice to us, they just screwed us and forced us to drop our old golden systems and go for a new PS or saturn.

But I just said screw them instead. At the time PS came out, PC had finally caught-up with consoles in terms of gaming capabilities. And within a year of PS being out, the PC had drastically surpassed it. 4MB voodoo video cards and 4-axis joysticks provided 100fps 640x480 networked gaming heaven. I was so frustrated at the industry for dumping my favorite systems I never again bought a new console. I just upgraded my PC. And I still haven't boughten a new console, and have no intensions ever to. Instead, I'm picking up all the old genesis/segacd/32x games I never had cheap off ebay. Truthfully, the old games are much more fun than the new ones anyway.

Just look at it now. People are paying 50-300$ for rare old sega games. There is definitely a market for somebody to have kept producing games for the good-ol systems. They had plenty of untapped potential. It's sad. There's definitely a martket for somebody to produce new games for old systems NOW.

Is it easy to get like a 32x dev kit? Do you have to do all the programming in assembly, or do they have like C compilers?

that's what I meant by 'that'. Goddamn page numbers...

If you are looking for a good game store in the Twin Cities, there is a place called Discland in Bloomington. It's located right off of I-35W on 98th St S.

Does Disc Land sell retro sega games?

Has anyone ever been to Game Exchange 123 (Woodbury) or Infinite Lives (Shoreview)? I found them on CitySearch, but haven't been there yet. Do you know if they have retro sega games?

A new Raven Video Games recently opened on university north of 694. They've got a bunch of old used stuff, but no segacd or 32x. The original one was in st. paul. I made a road trip there, just to find out they'd closed that store a long time ago and moved to stillwater. Still haven't gotten over there yet.

There's also another planet games down in the Disc Land area, I think it was around Cedar Ave just south of the zoo. It's probably a EBX now though I guess.

Back