Virtua Racing

I love it.

Many people say the Saturn port is awful, but I just can't see it.

As for the original... it will be mine. Oh, yes. It will be mine.
biggrin.gif

I feel as though Super Monaco GP and Super Hang-On were better, as far as fun factor goes, even though they weren't polygonal.

The graphics were stunning at the time and having a 8 player link up race with other people in the arcade and winning was great fun, no home version does the arcade version justice.

The arcade version was very cool

Oh... it game me the shivers... the surround sound from the head rest was very cool too. The realism wasn't too bad at all for the time.

The 32X version wasn't too bad. Not quite the feel of the arcade, but it was as good as it would probably get for the 32X.

The Genny version was a little disappointing. It was still kinda a thrill just to see the game actually running on a stock Genesis -- I know the cart has an extra chip on it.

But any, a very cool game for it's time. It was a great example of Sega's revolutionary games.

I had the version for Genesis. It wasn't a bad conversion, I think most people that bought the Genesis version had a chance to play it in the arcade, like I did, and wanted an chance to play it at home too. I think the 32x version was much better, and I've heard that in some ways it was better than the Saturn conversion.

genesis version was shocking it was really nasty graphics and blurry you could never really tell where you were going and thats coming from someone with perfect vision, then the 32x version just as boring as the genesis one and the arcade one was crap too which just about somes it all up really, it was a stepping stone to better 3d stuff but sega could have kept it behind closed doors till they made something better. yeah but the game was yuck and for what MTXBlau said i have to go on his boat as monaco gp and hang-on both did provide more gameplay than virtua racing even F1 was better which dont say much for there 3d break through attempt by sega.

Originally posted by JohnD@Aug. 09 2002, 2:37 pm

genesis version was shocking it was really nasty graphics and blurry you could never really tell where you were going and thats coming from someone with perfect vision, then the 32x version just as boring as the genesis one and the arcade one was crap too which just about somes it all up really, it was a stepping stone to better 3d stuff but sega could have kept it behind closed doors till they made something better. yeah but the game was yuck and for what MTXBlau said i have to go on his boat as monaco gp and hang-on both did provide more gameplay than virtua racing even F1 was better which dont say much for there 3d break through attempt by sega.

Do NOT tell me that was just 2 sentences!   :huh

Have you liked any of the "Games of the day" yet?

It's it amazing how much daytona usa and virtua racing really have in common even graphically speaking. But I digress that game is very good I was amazed the first time I fired it up. I still enjoy the occassion lap on the 32x or genny version but I like it's big brother F355 Challenge like a son.

F355 OWNS!! It is the best true simulation racers on any system bar none! I loved it so much I had to go out and buy another DC and a link cable so I can use my two steering wheel setups to race full screen head to head with the full 8 racers in each race! I got some leads which allow me to split the setups of each tv screen and wheel driving setup about 20 ft apart and one is on a 27" and the other on my 32" with surround sound system on it, oh man its awesome, but most guys cant handle that ferrari worth a crap and the ai is pretty good so they get killed lol. Cept my brother and he is darn good but he has races for real for quite a few years now so....

he gives me a heck of a time. But this is what you need to really experience home virtual racing awesome setup

Mmmm...Virtua Racing.  Not exacly a ground breaking game for it's gameplay, but astounding graphics for the time.  I have the MD, 32x and a copy of the Saturn version and I'm with mal - what's wrong with the Saturn version?  I certainly looks the best of the lot, despite occasion slowdown.

Many hours of fun to be had here - and damn that music is toe tappin' good
smile.gif

I agree F355 takes the cake. It is the 3rd to the last DC game I have acquired for its crisp realism. The 2nd to last was Shenmue II and the last is going to be Ikaruga. Virtua Racing brought on a whole new dimension to racing games; It is a pioneer of many great racers.

Virtua Racing was the first game I bought for my 32x.

So stupid back then, I read in a mag that if you made some 8's in some level, you could play a sort of bonus game: a.k.a. a level of Daytona usa......(must've been april's fool day?!).

But god knows I tried, and tried, and tried, and.....

Much as I love the Genesis version, it pisses me off that used shops carry it for $5 or so now. Back in the day, I paid well over $100 for it. Gr.

Why did Sega's 'special chip' cost so much? Nintendo's Star Fox and the the other games using the FX or FX/2 chip cost the same as a normal cart.

Aha but that was another forté, the chip of Sega was MUCH more advanced (always loved to piss of snes-owner with thei stunt race fx and other shit).

Did you guys also HATE Snes'ers back then (or still do?!)....

i liked Virtua Racing but since it broke my genesis i hate it! *lol*

i agree that there were other racers far better than VR that time. well, only the graphics were enough to play it as any snes-jerk got Starwing and VF was kind of advanced to that. even StunRaceFX wasn't comparable to VF. that made me as a sega-only freak proud a bit.  
smile.gif

Back